How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Driving around one day listening to a Miles Davis tape and thought, my G--, I would love to be able to blow some notes like that. Bought a student model trumpet later that day, my first horn, and took my first lesson late that week. I was 43 years old. Always just an amateur.

2. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Born again trumpet player, and not the first.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I was always interested in music, and wanted to play drums, but my father was having none of that. On music day in 5th grade, those who were interested were allowed to try different instruments with the music teacher present to advise them about which instrument they seemed most suited for. I had decided I wanted to play trumpet, don't know why, and tried it first. Immediate sound from the horn, awful as it was, was a good sign. Then because I was a big kid, they had me try trombone...same thing, I was able to make a sound and I could reach almost to 6th position. The teacher lobbied heavily for trombone, but I wanted trumpet. I drifted along playing in school bands, not too serious about things, when I was introduced to jazz, Maynard and Freddie all in the same week.

That was it.....

bigtiny

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    When I was 7 I got hit by a car and broke my left femur........I wanted to be a wide receiver in football but the doctors said they would never pass me in a physical to play school sports (they put a plate in my leg when broken). I must have been in the third grade when my Dad took me to our high school band concert (music was bigger than sports in my home town) so everyone went to the concerts even if they didn't have kids in the program. I remember I was totally in awe of the brass and when we got home I told my parents I wanted to play the trumpet.

I wanted to play so bad and pestered my folks so much they started me in the 4th grade (1956) on private lessons instead of waiting for the normal 5th grade program. I took private lessons thru my junior year till my band director/trumpet teacher retired and left the area.

I have played ever since although many years only a few of times a year. I basically came back to somewhat serious playing about 5 years ago. I am working to get back to the technical ability I had when I graduated high school (doubt that I will ever get back there) and learning to improv and play by ear.

Even though I can't play (technically) as good as when I was young I do think I am a better musician.

Dupac likes this.
  5. Masterwannabe

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Isn't it amazing what music can do to a person? I remember Paul Harvey doing one of his famous 'Rest of the Story' clips one day, this is not really trumpet related but it demonstrates how powerful music can be.

The story went that the person later to be known as Conway Twitty had just been discharged from the service and if I remember right was on his way to play professional baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates. On the way (driving) he turned on the radio and heard some of the new 'rock & roll' music and it struck him so that he turned the car around and decided he wanted to be part of that music and as Paul would say, "now you know the rest of the story".

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I first wanted to play trombone.

Thank you Lord for showing me the better path to follow..

7. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I picked a trumpet in 5th grade, like most kids do, and, like most kids do, quit within a year.

At age 46, late last year.... I discovered the HBO show Treme. I had always loved New Orleans and all of its music/food/culture, but something inside me was awakened.
    9 months later, i have quite a few horns, still take lessons and have missed a total of 6 days of practice since.

I play for myself, for a hobby, for enjoyment, for stress relief, and for an excuse to buy more horns!

8. Masterwannabe

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    AMEN, I don't think the trombone is ever mentioned in the Bible but the trumpet is, several times.

9. Swerve

Swerve New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    Mount Vernon, New York
    The band director of my elementary school came around to my fourth grade class. Each child who was interested in joining the band gave their name and what instrument they wanted to play. I said that i wanted to play the clarinet. ROFL:shock:

In my school, only children with good grades qualified for the band. Luckily my grades were solid. And by a stroke of even greater luck, the person that would become my first music instructor told me that i was assigned to the trumpet.

Thanks Mr Bibb. :D m

10. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I always wanted to play the trumpet. :D
    My parents made me learn the piano (from 6 onwards). :cry:
    At 10 I finally got to start, but the instrument was awful. :?:
    At 14 I was told, 'you'd be better on the french horn'. :twisted:
    I stopped playing anything at 25. :cry:
    At 50 i bought a trumpet, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then a flugel, and then another, then I sold one, then bought another, sold another, bought another (I think that adds up!). :stars:

I play Trumpet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave::wave::wave:

Dupac likes this.