How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    I was in Japan in 1956 holding down the 2nd chair in the 748th AF band( a show, jazz band) in Nagoya Japan. I was all of 20 years old, or 19 depending on the month. I have reconnected with some of the surviving members of that band, and that has been a gas. It was led and fronted with a trumpet, by Eldridge Bunton, a future leader of the AON. It very much shaped my future playing and style as I met while there a student of Jimmy Giuffre a proponent of West coast jazz. Is that a TMI?

2. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    DonĀ“t forget Jericho, it is interesting that at least in German the Bible translation reads "the trombones of Jericho"...
    Incorrect, as it seems. Schofars were the trumpet with the destructive force.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I gotta bone to pick in that translation.

4. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Groan...

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You get used to it! :roll:

6. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    First of all, props to whoever started this thread. There's some good stories on here. I'll add mine.

When I was about 9 years old, mom was driving us kids to school, and listening to an oldies station. The most amazing song I'd ever heard came on the radio, and I asked mom what it was. She said it was some guy named Herb Alpert playing 'The Lonely Bull'. She told me he was a trumpet player.

I was like, "Wow......I'm gonna play a trumpet."

So I started playing in middle school, but got kicked out after 2 years when my Christian parents wouldn't let me play in the Christmas concert due to secular beliefs. I toyed with the horn for a few more years and then let it go until last year, at age 34, I dug it out and started playing with it.

I soon got very frustrated, and started taking lessons - one of the best decisions I ever made.

I never told my wife, practicing before work at my parents house, or in my car on my lunch hour, until I surprised her by playing at church one Sunday. She said she almost panicked when she saw me up there with a horn, but said she was surprised that it sounded so good. I guess that's a positive sign?

After about 8 months, I upgraded from my old student Yamaha to a Xeno 8335, and playing the trumpet is the single most fun thing I do in life (outside of basketball).

I've got two boys, aged 5 and 9 months, respectively, and they get a kick out of listening to dad play. My 5-year-old says he's gonna play like Daddy some day. He can actually muster a very flat G or C, and it's fun to watch.

My only disappointment is that I ever stopped playing at all. It drives me crazy to think what I might play like if I'd stayed consistent for the last 15-20 years, so I just don't think about it.

I'm playing now, and very happy, and now I want a flugelhorn.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm gonna go home and play 'The Lonely Bull'.

7. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Glad you liked the thread and I enjoyed reading your story.

8. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    My brother played clarinet in a concert band

My parents took me to see him at band practice

They were saying, "look, there's your brother"

And I was just staring at the trumpets

Loved the sound and look of them

Was hooked from then on

9. geebee

geebee New Friend

Aug 21, 2013
    SW Missouri
    When I was five my family moved from Derbyshire down to Somerset. The paper mill had closed down in Derbyshire so the company offered my dad a job in their mill in Watchet. Our new next door neighor who we came to call Uncle Eric, played baratone in the Watchet British Legion Band.
    Dad saw the interest I had in Uncle Eric's baratone, and asked me if I wanted to learn to play. I said yes I want to play a trumpet lkke Louis Armstrong. He took me to meet the bandmaster Jack Alexander. Jack stuck a cornet in my hands and my musical life began. The band used to practice Wednesdays and Fridays, but they told my dad that I had potential so he arranged to have Jack's brother Ted tutor me on Tuesdays. Any other day of the week was one hour a day at home. Eventually, my dad, who was a trained bass baratone singer, was talked into learning to play bass trombone and my sister learnt to play tenor horn.
    I worked my way from 4th to repiano cornet and then solo cornet. I finally moved onto flugel horn and got a commendation from Harry Mortimer at a contest we played at. I'm not sure if it was Bristol or Torquay.
    By the time I was fourteen, I'd discovered girls and all the other teenage responsibilities, and realised all this practicing was interfering with my womanising. So I gave up playing and have regretted it ever since. Earlier this year I decided to have a midlife crisis and bought a trumpet. I've played it nearly every day since and wondered just how good I could have been.

10. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Quite a story. BTW I was in the AF band in London in 1964 so I am very aware of the English bands and their affinity for cornets. Like you I have wondered where I would have been musically, had I stayed in the band career field in the USAF and kept playing and improving. I was there for ten years, and who else would have allowed me to make a living playing a trumpet, doing what I loved. Picking it up after a 40 year hiatus did not work too well.