How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You do?

I mean

You do!

nooo that's not right either

You do, full stop.

2. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Are you getting a "long" cornet, or the regular one? (I'm thinking Constellation)

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    G-mans punniness (allan groaned).

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I try to give 100% to a P-U-N as something less would stink: P-U.

5. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    I was three years old when my mother started me on piano lessons. That is how I learned the alphabet (at least as far as G). Both of my grandfathers played violin (one rather well - the other abominably) and my father had played violin as a youth. My mother was a capable pianist. There were brass players in my extended family and one of my great-grandfathers, and his father too, had been active for their entire adult lives in what we would now call (in the US) British brass bands. As a kid I loved the sound of the Salvation Army Bands that would play around Christmas. I had an older cousin who plated cornet and remember being fascinated when he brought his cornet with him on a visit (I was about 6 years old). I also enjoyed the popular music of the time - already mentioned here by others: Herb Alpert, James Last, late-career Louis Armstrong and the older big band music.

But as a kid I had asthma issues and was told I could not play a wind instrument. So when I wanted to play with others, violin was the choice. This (and viola) took me through school and university and gave me tremendous pleasure over the years. I could hide at the back of the second fiddles and flirt with the girls playing woodwind or french horns.

But as I aged and developed a few aches and pains in the neck and shoulder, the violin became uncomfortable. This was the perfect excuse to switch disciplines to the trumpet and start a completely new learning curve. I feel as if I am fulfilling a childhood dream.

6. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    When I was in the 4th grade, my dad gave me his Buescher 10-22a to play and I played through the 5th grade, but then found sports. After a 30+ year break, I started playing again. As to why I picked it back up, honestly? I watched Arturo kick off the Orange Bowl in 2009, and that sparked my comeback. :)

Arturo Sandoval, Trumpet, National Anthem 1/1/09 Orange Bowl - YouTube

7. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    A fascinating story. So how old were you when you converted and how did it work out for you?

8. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    It was the mid 80's and i was in second grade when they started band. I wanted to play the sax but parents said it was too expensive. I had the option to play the drums or trumpet. Not sure why i choose the trumpet. Played all the way through high school then joined the army. My trumpet playing was over till i was assigned to an honor guard for funerals. They were using a recorded version of taps because we could not get a bugle player for the detail. I volunteered to play so we could do it right and honor the fallen. When i deployed to the sandbox my x wife sold my trumpet. Back in 2011 i got back into it a bit but had to sell my bach when wifes grandparents passed and we had to move. Fast forward to today. Just paid for a vintage king horn and should have it in a week. So i am getting back in to it seriously after 15 or so years.

9. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Good luck :)

10. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    PTL and thank you for your service. I wish more trumpet players would volunteer to sound TAPS, the recorded version just doesn't cut it in my book.