How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Having spent 10 years in the AF band system, I have played Taps more than I care to remember. We had a roster for that assignment, and everybody in the trumpet section had to take their turn.
    At Maxwell AFB they used Taps with the echo effect during Easter services, and I was rowed out to the middle of a small lake and echoed the other trumpet. Whatever happened to the separation of church and state.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    So, allan birmantas, have you figured out any things we have in common (excluding being members of TM)?

3. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Thank you for asking. My answer is a resounding YES. I really enjoy this site, and someday I might share my feeble attempts at playing on youtube. I don't play any more, but those were recorded by my better-half some 4-5 years ago when I first came out of my not trumpet status.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My best friend in 6th grade was learning to play trumpet. It sounded like fun, so I decided to do it, too. I started out on cornet, though. I finally became a trumpet player in high school when I got a Conn 6B. I played a little through college, but there was no instrumental music program there and I eventually quit playing. About 7 or 8 years later, I joined a community band and started playing again. The community band was big on trumpets on trumpet parts and cornet on cornet parts, so I found a used Olds Ambassador cornet and started playing it. That's when I became a cornet player again. I'll skip all the other stuff between then (late 70's) and today, but I'm still primarily a cornet player. I will play trumpet when I have to, though...:D

5. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I always heard ( never had to experience first hand, PTL ) there are no atheists in foxholes. :-)

6. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    Seperation of church and state has to do with the government enforcing religious beliefs on the people as well as churches creating laws that govern the people. It has nothing to do with being assigned to a military detail while serving in the military. Everyone in the military has the right to their own religious beliefs or to not have any if they chose. I am sure if it really offended your beliefs you could have passed it up the chain of command.

7. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    There was an exodus of trumpet players in our band, a Weasley bunch who had no stamina to tough to out in rough times. I was on tuba having to compete with an electric bass and piano for the bass line. I am sure there are a lot of tuba players in concert bands who understand how I felt about that. So I switched to trumpet to help out. Have been there ever since.
    The move made my wife happy. No more damage to door frames as I lug tuba cases in and out of the house, no more taking the tuba with us when buying a new car to make sure the case would fit into the boot.
    I now own my own trumpet and cornet. I could not have afforded that when I was on tuba. My wife now appreciates what soft, soothing sound the tuba makes compared to the trumpet.

8. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    The same goes for our 'Last Post' in the UK. Much more meaningful played live - cracks, splitnotes, mistakes and all.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What!?
    Coincidence alert!

I started playing trumpet in 1956 in Nagoya and had a connection to that band. Elliot Maxwell was my teacher. Also, our school band which was started that year by a R&R playing English teacher used borrowed music from the AF band. I remember "Naughty Lady of Shady Lane". And if I remember correctly, for a short time our school (Nagoya American School), or at least some of the grades/classes, was re-located to an area where the band was housed. Amazing!

The short answer to the OP's question regarding "why" - to get out of P.E. One day in my Geography class, an English teacher came in and announced that he was starting a school band and asked if anyone was interested. I just sat there passively. Then he said, "anyone in the band'll be exempt from P.E." and my hand shot up. I hated P.E. because we were playing basketball, which I hated. And that's the sole reason I started. But the bug bit, and within about three months, I was playing first cornet/trumpet, where I pretty much stayed throughout this and two other Jr. HS and Sr. HS bands.

Nagoya 1956. Unreal!

10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    When I was a child everyone played piano, violin, cello, flute, or sang. I thought all of those were so boring. I didn't know any percussion, brass, or reed players. I remember being fascinated by reed instruments, in particular. I thought I would have picked clarinet, but apparently I was inspired that day and I settled with trumpet. Sometimes I'm not sure if I should have picked trumpet, since my lips have weakened considerably due to an unfortunate injury a few years ago, making it difficult to keep my endurance up. But it's an instrument that you can both sing on AND play loud! I love it!