How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Maxwell came to the 748th band only a few weeks before I left. He had been in the Navy band before he joined the AF. He was what I would call a legit trumpet player.

2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    My father was tied of me dragging around a baritone horn everywhere, so he bought me a trumpet that would fit in the back seat of the Karmann Ghia we had.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Coincidentally, (there's that word again), a decade later I went to Hickam AFB (Hawaii) to audition for an AF band, and who should come walking down the hall to audition me, but Max himself. I had been shedding on a lead trumpet book from the Navy because I was told that that's what the military bands were looking for, and the first thing Max did was to open the Arban's and have me play a bunch of exercises and etudes with tons of embellishments in them. Damn! Never did play anything that swung.

4. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    By any chance did you run into a trumpet player in the 748th named Wayne Lilley?

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I didn't.

6. Inkwolf

Inkwolf Pianissimo User

May 26, 2013
    When I was in 4th or 5th grade, they herded us all into the band room, demonstrated the instruments, and gave us a test to make sure we had rhythm and weren't tone deaf. Those of us who passed were allowed to choose an instrument and play in the band. Unfortunately, 12 of us wanted to play the trumpet/cornet, and the band only had 10 of them. I lost the lottery and played French Horn for that year, after which I quit due to lack of interest. (I wanted to play the TRUMPET.)

A couple years later, in spite of the fact that my family was not well off, my parents bought me a Conn Director cornet (I think my dad was hoping I'd be the next Al Hirt) and got me private lessons with the school band director, who checked my teeth, and said, since I didn't look like I'd end up needing braces, that he'd teach me. I was good enough to play in the band by 7th grade, and worked myself up to 1st chair in high school playing a rental Yamaha trumpet.

After high school I pretty much stopped playing (kicking myself now) except for occasionally hauling out the horn to mess around with. Several years ago, I watched Star Trek Voyager on DVD, and absolutely HAD to play that theme song. By the time I had acquired the sheet music (and discovered play-along CDs), my flute-playing niece had borrowed my old cornet to try out. Then, this year, I watched the anime series Sound of the Sky, which reminded me how much I had loved playing the trumpet, and so I ended up buying myself a a cheap old trumpet off Ebay, and after playing it for a couple of months, broke down and paid for a decent second-hand Getzen 700sp.

7. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I wanted to be a drummer, until I found out you don't get a drum set, you start with just a snare drum..... So I picked the trumpet instead.

Of course, when I became an adult, I bought my own [email protected] drum set ;)

8. Damien

Damien New Friend

Oct 22, 2013
    Started on a straight Boy Scout bugle. Later, started on a valve/rotary soprano bugle. Then, to a 2 valve G Bugle for drum corps....then to cornet after 11 years of drum corps.

9. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    Reading this thread, makes me look back in time. I remember at 12, going to the High School for band instrument night. I could not sing, and I thought music was fun, and wanted to play in the band. I was so pumped to try a Sax. I remember the Pilot of Galaxy Rangers having a cool bee bop sax part that stuck with me. I was told, to my disappointment, that there were no more positions available for that instrument. I was handed a clarinet and could not make a sound. Guess reed instruments were not my thing.

I was handed a trumpet mouth piece I was asked to buzz. Must have done it well enough,I guess. they handed me horns to try. I had real short arms for a trombone. It sounded like a dying whale. So they handed me a trumpet, and I guess I like it. Much like anything price was also an issue. The student starter was in price range of parents.

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    One valve at a time! Slow and steady wins the race.