How can I improve? Reality check please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dorkdog, Oct 15, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    This guy isn't actually a friend. I visit this store regularly as my alter ego guitar playing self. He freelances at the store. And I have more than one Lester....so...

The advice I've gotten offline agrees; a few hundred bucks should get me something to play for a while. And I have looked on eBay and have a couple on my watch list. Here in SC PA there aren't too many stores where you can just go play a trumpet.

I've seen a few nice Getzens in the 3-400 price range - I'll likely end up with one of those. There's a nice Capri cornet on there in silver at $400 and a 300 trumpet sold for about the same yesterday. I know how I am - I'll be more tenacious if I have a horn that looks nice, but I'm not about to buy another Chinese toy.

Meanwhile I am off to hunt for another teacher. I think what I need is someone to just check my playing from time to time. I think I have a grip on how to practice - about 20-30 min of scales tones and arpeggios and then 10-15 min of just playing around with popular tunes.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    That's a pretty stinky attitude; he could have used more tact. I just recently took some lessons from 2 different locals, and was very much turned off by their huge egos and tactless manners. I sought help with my style of play (jazzy, upbeat) and experienced harsh resistance. I did find a new instructor who's a pro jazz player & he fits my style nicely, so I'm a happy camper now. Keep shopping, no doubt about it.

You've gotten great advice here, an Olds should serve you quite well and get you started for at least a year or so. Getzens are nice horns, even the student models, but you'll be happy with a $200 Olds for the time being. And as you progress, you'll learn more about different horns and how they can fit your style of play, so you can pick a good match when the time is right.

Btw: Nice recording "studio" you've got there...I'm jealous! ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    I fell in love with a York PerfecTone and bought that; it was within my budget. Should be a major improvement over the little blue one?

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Well done,
    Now if the teacher tries to be negative about that one, he is probably trying to flog you off a chinese student horn through his shop.

Enjoy it, and find that teacher quickly to help you on the path.

I look forward to hearing more, and some pics when you get the horn.
    Cheers

5. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Glad you found a good horn you like and keep looking for a teacher you like. The first guy sounded like like kind of a sanctimonious d-bag. One of the things you'll notice about switching from baritone to trumpet is the different air-stream needed. The two are like a shotgun and a rifle. On the baritone, you just blow as much air as you can, while with the trumpet, you need to have a muc more focused air-stream and keep it focused all the time for proper intonation. And I do see the "baritone fingers". Arch the fingers more so that you are pushing straight down on the valves with the tips of your fingers and you will get cleaner valve changes. I've been working with a young man in our dance band who is an accomplished euph player and is dabbling in trumpet. I see a lot of the same issues he has in your playing. Overall, though, very nice job and some lessons from a good instructor that you mesh with should bring you along nicely. Keep up the great work.

6. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Thanks for all the helpful positive comments. I hope to be around a while and be able to help those who stumble in after me.

I got a different horn today in the mail; see, I listen to what you all said about that little blue trumpet being an issue in itself.

Here's the horn I got. The minute I took it out and played a few notes my wife says, "That sounds a WHOLE lot better than the other one!"

dorkdog's Album: 1915 York PerfecTone 43167

I have some posts over on the vintage horn forum asking a few questions; for this forum, I am proud to be the owner of this horn, and as I played it at church tonight, looking over the bell, I'm wondering, since 1915 what has been in the view over that bell? What has that bell seen? How many Morgan dollars, Standing Liberty quarters and Mercury dimes have been tossed in that case during the depression?

I hope to be able to do the horn justice. I'll be posting a video soon!

7. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    So far, I've 'interviewed' two. The first one I already mentioned - the second one I asked about fundamentals, embouchure, etc. and he said he is bifg on those so I said fine, sign me up for a lesson.

I go there, and the first question out of his pasty little face is "What song do you want to learn?"

That was not what I wanted to hear. I want someone who is going to sit me down, listen to me play, watch me, and advise me, then send me home to practice for a week or 2 lather rinse repeat.

So I mention that I liked to listen to a lot of Herb when I was a kid, he brings up YouTube and a Herb Alpert song called "This Guy's in Love with You" - one of the few pieces Aplert does that is not a trumpet piece per se. I'm sitting there waiting for a great revelation when he picks up his horn and plays about 5 minutes of jazzy trills, puts the horn down, looks me in the eye and says "Now THAT'S what an embouchure should look like!"

I wanted out like a kid tellin' a lie, and told the guy he wasn't what I am looking for. Back to the drawing board.

One thing for sure, I'll be videotaping my playing again with the embouchure showing (and no reverb) and asking for advice. I've learned more from you and gained more confidence from you than from two visits to two teachers.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    What it looks like outside is pretty meaningless.

Tom

9. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    What can I say to follow these comments. You did a good job considering the instrument. No expert myself but as someone that has been playing on and off over 30 years the right instrument is the key. But if you can play like that after 3 weeks on something that is considered a toy by some I would say you have great potential. I would love to see the difference it would make playing the smae piece on a decent trumpet.

10. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Wow, dude. Seems like you have a real wasteland as far as instruction is concerned where you live. Sorry about your luck, but keep looking, because you will do much better with an actual teacher (who knows what they're doing and isn't just out to make a quick buck) than with what we can give you over the internet, wise and all-knowing as we may be :/. I think you'll find some vast improvements over what you had been playing. An experienced player can make just about anything sound good, and an expensive horn definitely won't make up for lack of practice, but when you're learning, a horn that doesn't have a plethora of issues of it's own that you have fight helps immensely. You seem on the right track. Keep looking and keep working.