How can I improve? Reality check please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dorkdog, Oct 15, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For me the right instrument would be the one with 3 working valves, a lead pipe to put the mouthpiece into no hole in the tubing AND a supportive significant other to say... "Go for it big boy"

2. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Indeed but some of us need all the help we can get hence my choice.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Dorkdog, have a look at the following post - Forum Equipment - TM Classifieds - Bb Trumpets - WTS: Getzen 700 Eterna 2.

This fella has a Getzen 700 for sale at about $525 - not a bad price if the description is in fact accurate - they are a nice trumpet - only come in silver - and are solidly engineered (yes I have one, and am looking at this one too) - jump in first, your need is greater than mine.

I also have a Getzen Eterna Classic (900) in lacquer - and it is a step up from the 700 Eterna - but not much of a step.

Failing that, contact Washington Music Center and talk to them - good prices for Getzens (new) - you might even be able to negotiate mutes as well - I got a Harmon, Denis Wick Cup, and a Straight mute for $15 each - mind you, I bought a Getzen 700S Eterna, and a King 1201L Trombone at the one time - we got the Trom mutes for the same price, $15 each - a straight and a cup. Roger Kuiper was my contact.

4. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Thank you very much for such nice comments! But truth be told, throughout 30-some odd years of hiatus, I've been playing other forms of music so I have not lost sight of what is important. I have to get the machine recalibrated is all, so to speak.
    I will be redoing the song I did and many others.

My reason for rediscovering brass is simple - after 30 years of slinging guitars I still cannot record a decnt vocal. I've given up trying and have decided to replace the vocal in my music with an instrumental line. The cornet seems like the right instruemnt to do that with, considering my background and what I want to accomplish.

5. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Keep it up and you will prevail! BTW - This Guy's in Love with You is a trumpet song, absolutely. Not pyrotechnics, but there's some awfully friendly trumpet playing there. 4 weeks #1 on the Top Ten, 10 weeks #1 on Easy Listening. Alpert is the ONLY artist to have a #1 hit as both a vocalist and a trumpet player.

Yeah, I know, it's a soft and fuzzy sentimental tune. As I age I like it more and more.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC