how can i learn about backbores?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by jamesfrmphilly, Mar 5, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i can tell what cup is on a mouthpiece and i can tell what size throat is on a mouthpiece but how do i tell what size/type backbore is there?
    i don't even know what backbore i play now.
    I'd like to learn about backbores. 8)

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Best bet is to check out the GR website and read what they have to say about the different elements of mouthpieces. I think that it's pretty much all there.

3. jamesfrmphilly

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    thanks I'll try that.

when i go in the store and pick up a mouthpiece is there any way i can
    tell what the backbore is?

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I don't think so... not without some serious study of the different makes and knowledge of what each of them uses as "standards"....

You may find some by going to http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com and reading what's there about the different types.

The alternate (and highly recommended) is to find a shop that has a Warburton dealers' kit and work through it. That'll pretty much get you to the right cup diameter, cup depth, and backbore as fast as anything. With the different shank designs you can also see what adjusting the gap will do....although you have a horn with an adjustable gap already?

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    You need to read ALL the mpc manufacturer sites to get an idea how they indicate their backbores. Some do it on every piece and with others you have to look it up on their charts.

Start with the mpc you now use and read all you can about it and the options available from the maker. You might try the next smaller and the next larger backbore (if you've got the budget) so that you can experience for yourself.

With some makers you can screw on different backbores. I think this is a good way to feel the differences. However, I think you get a better overall peice when the cup, throat and backbore are all designed to go together.

Have fun experimenting.

Dave

6. jamesfrmphilly

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i just went and read the GR site.
    i emailed them some questions.

if i can access a GR tech or a Warburton tech for a consultation i might change up.

i don't think I'll try to select on my own.

7. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
  8. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Your Bach 5V mouthpiece most likely has a 25 backbore on it. I also believe it has an opened up throat compared to most other models. Anyways, I'd say the backbore most likely compares to a Schilke D or Warburton 9 backbore. I'm obviously no tech, so don't quote me on the comparisons.

9. BellsSuperLube

BellsSuperLube New Friend

Mar 1, 2004
    Denton,Tx
    mpc

James,

I think it is a good idea to learn as much as possible about every aspect of trumpet playing. Attaining more knowledge can only make us better. If you are wanting to try different drill sizes for you mouthpiece, that can get very expensive! I made the discovery that my teeth were not as open as I thought they were when I was playing. I then did a test with a lot of my trumpet player friends and found out that they were in the same boat. This won't be a surprise to most of you, but I found that by opening my teeth, the sound and range improved. Not only that, the mouthpiece felt like it was drilled out. It was so much easier to play.

Justin

10. vlstpt

vlstpt New Friend

Feb 9, 2005
    Suffolk County NY USA
    James , look up the Warburton website, It will give you what backbore will give the desired sound you are looking for. Ex.... BB #1 through #6 are bright sounding. #7 through #12 are for orchestra. There are other backbores on the website for you to view also. Hopes this helps!! :play: