How can I make my sound more open.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mrwags28, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Mrwags28

Mrwags28 New Friend

Sep 6, 2014
    How can I make my trumpet sound more open? When I play, my teacher says it's like my lips are holding onto the sound and to not do that anymore. It's not that simple. I've been playing the same way for 9 years and when I play it doesn't sound like the beautiful trumpet sound you'd expect. I play very well. But I need help.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Can't your teacher show you? You've sounded un-beautiful for 9 years??? I get that this is the generation of one liners and texting, but way more info is needed. Horn clean? Mpc a tight or open backbore? Mpc throat size? That's just the equipment that might contribute to a closed or open sound. Then the physical aspect would need to be addressed. THAT is a barrel of worms.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    How long have you been with your current teacher,

What do you practice,
    How do you practice,
    For how long,

What style of music do you like,
    What equipment do you use (sorry Toby)
    Are you Tense when playing

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Mrwags28!

Does your teacher have anything to say about your basic embouchure set? How is your dynamic range? Can you play really, really softly and really, really loudly?

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    SEE!!!! Worms falling all over the place!!! :D

Oh yeah , forgot!:welcome::welcome::welcome::wave::wave::wave::laughwave::laughwave:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best way to get "tone" is to play with people that have it. Duets, ensemble playing. Turn the brain off and the ears on. Find a sparring partner!

7. Mrwags28

Mrwags28 New Friend

Sep 6, 2014
    For all of you asking what my teacher has to say about it, she specializes in flute playing. she knows absolutely nothing about trumpet playing, she just said it sounds off. I'm still in highschool and it's my senior year, and I really want to improve since it's my last year. I know that it's not my instruments fault because every now and then it sounds amazing when I play. But not often. I practice about 2 hours every day. and when I practice i play music. I haven't ever been taught how to practice working on tone etc. because I go to a small school and i play my music rythms etc. pretty good.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Something to try, then is to use as little muscle in the embouchure as you can while playing softly... and gradually play louder but NOT using a ton of air and NOT blowing your brains out and NOT using a lot of muscle to resist a lot of air.

Tom

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Flute player is one of those things that makes a difference in how to solve your issue. Find a trumpet teacher if possible.

10. Ufachotchin

Ufachotchin Pianissimo User

May 19, 2014
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    This is not my own advice. This is a mental imagery truck I picked up reading around on here. I wish I could give credit where it is due, but I forget who posted it.
    Anywho, all you have to do is picture where your jaw meets your temple. Then, imagine that they are not connected. This can help you to open up your embouchure an maybe get you sound to be fuller and more open. Also, listen to the other posters. There are very wise and experienced players here on TM.
    Hope this helped,
    Nick DiGicomo