How can I make my sound more open.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mrwags28, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Lot's of good advice given already, but imo to make more than a small difference, you would get a more open sound from increasing the throat size, or trying a different backbone of your mouthpiece. If you go down this road I would advise small differences at a time. You will notice a difference with just one throat size-I would do the throat before changing your backbore-that's a bigger change. Don't open up your everyday mouthpiece-try it on a copy to see if it works for you.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just like learning to walk, talk, eat-EMULATION is the key. We don't necessarily need a trumpet player as a teacher-we need exposure to better trumpet players. If there are better sounding players in school, find them, work with them!

Sound is developed in our heads. Style of playing is more important than frequency response. No hardware change will EVER improve tone if we do not have a good sound concept in our heads.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Although I agree with Rowuk that exposure to better players is a great way forward (even listening to recordings should help) I really can't understand how in one post you can say "my teacher says this" then in another post tell us "she is a flute player and knows nothing about trumpet playing"

Illogical Captian

4. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    Relax..... open your aperture just a very little bit..... breathe....... have your ideal sound in your head........ relax..... you're welcome :)

5. Mrwags28

Mrwags28 New Friend

Sep 6, 2014
    You guys are all awesome! Thank you so much! But unfortunately I am the "best" trumpet player in my school so I do not have anyone better to play with. If you were to listen to all the trumpet players in our school, everyone has the same sound.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    At least the tightness "blends".

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Listen to YouTube. Listen to players like Maurice Andre, Adolf Herseth, Phil Collins, Maynard Ferguson, Louie Armstrong, Miles Davis and others. When practicing your music, try to imitate each of these and sound like them at will.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    and Harry James, who is the king of playing relaxed, in my opinion.

Tom

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I was in high school, I listened to A LOT of Wynton Marsalis' classical recordings. To this day I believe that he raised the bar for classical trumpet recordings, (well, at least for Baroque and early classical works) and for me it's still the standard by which I measure just about any recording that has come since the late 80s and early 90s. I also believe that all of that listening influenced my own sound because it was the sound that was in my head when I was working on my own playing.

These days, unfortunately, I have a much different sound concept in my head most of the time due to the fact that my playing has changed for the kind of gigging I do. I don't necessarily think it's a bad sound - I think it's very appropriate for revving up horn lines in a party band, but when I have a legit gig on the horizon I have to take a step back and spend a few days getting my playing geared toward another kind of playing. I used to be more versatile, and I could pretty much flip the switch, but I'm not nearly as rounded of player now as I was back in the day.

In any case, I think Rowuk has the key - lots of listening, and lots of playing with folks who have good sound will take you quite a ways.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Patrick, sorry for the little Hjack here guys, I have recently got right into Hakan Hardenberger, wonderful player and rarely mentioned on here, I'd like your thoughts on the comparison between his say Haydn and Winton's