How can I make my sound more open.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mrwags28, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Nico Kelevra

Nico Kelevra New Friend

Aug 1, 2012
    Carapachay, Argentina
    Hello!!! and Welcome!!!
    Somebody says that you have to think the sound you want to heard before you blow it trought your trumpet...
    That... and a lot of dynamics!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now we all know that you are deaf too. No two people ever sound the same............ Even the copy/pasters can't even get my posts reposted in context ;-)

Seriously, I personally don't believe that you can claim being the best in every discipline and I am sure if you get off of your high horse, you may run into someone willing to spend time on duets at a common pace. The rest is documented above.

3. rwhitley87

rwhitley87 New Friend

Mar 30, 2011
    Newport News, VA
    My opinion...get lots of lip time in consisting of pushing for extremely high notes. Play your favorite songs in the upper register above middle C. Do this a few times a week. Get some Maynard Ferguson type stuff...may not reach as high as Maynard but try...may not sound pretty but my point is push to a higher goal and therefore what you have been used to playing in the middle and lower register will become easier to blow and will also improve your tone. Ensure your horn is thoroughly cleaned inside and out. This really helps the air to flow smoother allowing for a better sound. The mouthpiece is important. The smaller the cup the higher the sound. Bigger cup allows for a deeper free flowing sound. I use the Schilke 14A4a, (Schilke Mouthpieces) which allows for a great lower and middle register. You can do the upper register slightly but with much practice the upper register comes easier. There are other mouthpieces that help with the upper register. I have not explored many mouthpieces but it is worth shopping around when you can. Many high school students play the 7c that comes with their horn and do well but check out some others until you are comfortable. Go to a music store that may have some on hand.

As I said earlier...this is my opinion and it works for me. I used to play in an R&B group straight out of high school after joining the beginner band in my second semester of the 9th grade. I am now 54 years old and still enjoy playing my Model 37 Strad. I still have a lot to learn but I get on the horn at least 3 times a week, a few hours at a time..... Everyone has their own technique and I am enjoying reading them here on this site.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You need to expand your horizons... look outside of your school.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That works for me... so when can we get together Rowuk?

See, as I documented above, you can always find someone better to work with, and then advance. Get the passion to move forward. Find someone! Do it! Do it now!

6. rwhitley87

rwhitley87 New Friend

Mar 30, 2011
    Newport News, VA
    You may be the best in your school but what does that actually mean? Put on some music you hear from the radio if nothing else. Play a Kenny G song, a Chuck Mangione...a Miles Davis...Maynard Ferguson...Louis Armstrong...Al Hirt...learn some of this stuff.... Yor are the best at what is required of you in your school. But there is much more that you can do on your own. Think outside of the normal box. You have to do something different to get different results. Doing the same thing over and over usually produce the same result so you need to become creative and try something different as I said above. I love music...not the best musician but am comfortable with my playing ability based on what I have put in. I have goals to achieve in music but can't reach them if I don't put in the time and effort to reach them. You must be a bright student...either use posted advice or figure it out on your own. Many great trumpet players had no forum such as this to turn to but you do. Try some of the suggestions and then post again to let us know if the suggestions worked for you or let us know why they did not work.

Just got off work....going to play my horn somewhere...just got this Euge Groove CD. One cut is called Chillaxin and I have got to go check out the smooth groove. Good luck with finding your open-full sound...you can achieve it if you believe it!!!

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I sense a gathering for the next time he comes to the US...

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now THAT's what I call GOOD sense!

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I still see one major problem as the op being taught by a flautist "who knows nothing about brass playing". Maybe try blowing through the mouth piece rather than across it.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    in addition to all the great advise
    I have found tonguing exercises ( Arbans ~pg 125) seem to help with tone... but you have to listen to each note as you attack it ... better yet if you have access to a large room or an auditorium to practice in.