How can I play the high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, Apr 20, 2010.

1. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I am frustrated.
    Does anyone know some good ways to develop your range above the staff?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Patience. Half step at a time. Diligent and intelligent practice. Good teacher. Key word: Evolution. Don't forget to rest as much as you play (for example: 20min playing, 20 min rest).

3. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you. I guess nothing comes quickly. Just like lifting weights - rest is important.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    It is human nature to want what we want now. We don't WANT to rest. We want to continue, we want to shorten the rest period. Playing the trumpet will not only make one humble, it develops patience. If there were shortcuts I believe i would have found them by now.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Everything every one else has said and one last piece of advice "Practice".

6. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I am fortunate to have found a site with such helpful, good people. I can tell that all of them are good musicians. I wish they were all my neighbors.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Buy a Schlossberg book and work on exercises from it during part of your practice time, observing the dynamics printed. You sort of "sneak up" on the high stuff that way and it becomes more familiar and easier.

8. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Dale,
    Thank you. I am ordering that book today.

9. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Netbeast:

I started playing again last August and can claim a solid C above the staff, but it took stressing the fundamentals. As I have stated in other postings, I concentrate on playing within the staff and playing long pedal tones, combined with lip slurs. All of this helps, along with regular practice. If you have access to a good trumpet teacher, take lessons. The high stuff will follow a disciplined practice methodology, if you are blessed with that ability. Some folks simply aren't capable of screaming, but can knock you out with their abilities on the trumpet. I don't stress over it, it robs the joy of playing!

Have fun!!!!! :lol:

10. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Good advice and something that I will try to incorporate into my practicing. Right a teacher is not possible. Thank you - your knowledge is appreciated.