How can I play the high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I am hoping you are right.

David

2. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    I tried just that for many years when I started playing trumpet.
    That recipe didn't work for me. I stuck in the middle register.

What my further experience then taught me is this:

You have to practice what you want to achieve.
    If it's high notes, practice those from the beginning of trumpet playing!

What happens is this: by chosing low and middle register as your (only) playground your what I call "setpoint" will be too low.
    Setpoint is what you feel to be your range's middle.
    I believe each trumpet player has their own individual setpoint - consciously or unconsciously.

My personal setpoint in the beginning was around g in the staff, nowadays it's g above the staff.
    Means: I established an embouchure that allows that g without tongue arch and without effort of my chops.
    This is done mainly by slightly rolling in the lips.

Chosing g above the staff as your setpoint means you have to work a bit more for a good sound in middle and low register and on the other hand: high g is just one octave away.
    That to me is a perfect embouchure setup.

Since I had develloped that idea and have made it really happen there has been a real step up in my playing.

I think "pops" has a similar concept (which I did not know of when I changed my system).

Give it a try?

:-)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I agree with Bixel. To find our "setpoint," play the first note of the day on the mouthpiece--middle high, middle low, mf with a normal embouchure. In general, we'll be consistent, getting the same first note every day. We can then expand chromatically from this starting point to increase our comfort level.

For example if our starting point is "g," we can then play "g, g#, g, f#, g, g#, a, g#, g,f#, f..." By doing so we avoid making any extreme changes for higher or lower notes and avoid the "high note phobia" many trumpet players suffer from.

Have fun!

4. mlrenick

mlrenick Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    Just bought that book. Thanks for the recommendation.

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    And the people said: "AMEN!"

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I've done this with the five-string banjo. I hand them the banjo, the finger and thumb picks, and sit back for real entertainment (comedy, usually).:-P