How could I improve my practice routine?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpt278, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Trumpt278

Trumpt278 New Friend

Jan 16, 2015
    Hello, all. I'm currently going through a little bit of a debate as to whether or not to continue trumpet, and a large reason why I don't enjoy trumpet a whole lot is that I often have problems getting a good sound high in the range. Right now, I'm practicing about 30 minutes a day -- 10 for show choir music, 10 for band music, and 10 for a solo (in 3 ten minute slots -- any more than that, and my sound quality goes down the tubes). Obviously, there isn't really any technical or skill building work in here. I'd like to know if there are any good ways to start incorporating more skill-related stuff into my practice routine -- I've got up to an hour a day to play, and I'd like to get better at range, endurance, and sight reading, mostly. Does anyone have any recommendations as to restructuring my practice time, books I may need (I already have Arban's and the Schlossberg method, although I've got no clue how to use them)?

2. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    There are plenty of good practice routines depending on what you are trying to achieve. You can google them, or use the search tool avaikable in this forum. But I can tell you that there simply is no substitute for lip time. You state in your post that you have been practicing a half hour a day and have up to an hour that you can practice. 1 hour of practice a day is the minimum if you are wanting to improve tone and range. I would start by playing long tones. Play soft, easy, and try to get the horn to resonate. You should be attempting to produce a big, room filling sound at a low volume level. I would play long tones for 30 minutes, then play lip slurs for 10 minutes. Spend you remaing 20 minutes with Arban Studies, but don't just play through them. Undrrstand the purpose of the exercise and work on achieving it. But being honest with you, you will never become more than an avrrage player if you limit yourself to just 1 hour a day. And that is OK. There are plenty of average trumpet players, myself included, that love playing trumpet.....

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds like you're in high school to me. Very few players your age have a good sounding upper range at that age. Those that have range usually don't sound good. Good range takes time and lots of it. Longtones played softly will do more for you than blowing your brains out trying to play in the upper register. My warm up takes 15 minutes, but that's me. It won't happen in 30 minutes daily. I have a "Cheaters" practice routine a guy developed for players with limited time. It takes 30 minutes and it's considered cheating!! There's no "app" for the upper register except lip time.

4. Trumpt278

Trumpt278 New Friend

Jan 16, 2015
    When you say long tones, what exactly do you mean? Like, where on the staff?

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pick a note, second line G for example, and play the note as long and as soft as you can without passing out. Listen to the way it sounds. Does it sound pleasing? Would people want to listen to it? Work on it until it sounds perfect. Google long tone exercise. There are a mind boggling number of ways to do long tones but they have to be done.

Sidekick likes this.
  6. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Start with G in the staff. Play softly for 20 to 30 seconds, 10 seconds of lip rest, then downnto f# and repeat. Go all the way down to low F# and remembervthat building good tone and a good lower register will help your upper register... over time......

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would say quit trumpet. With the posted attitude, we are just postponing the inevitable with anything that we might offer.

Solid playing means solid foundations and there is obviously not one currently available. Without proper one on one lessons the chance of fixing that is very poor.

Without a solid foundation, skill building stuff will generally make ones playing worse because we twist our face to get through.

Teacher, teacher, teacher and no excuses. If the thread owner is SERIOUS about getting better, then there is no internet help that will really turn his playing around.

Crappy sound range and endurance always has the same cause: crappy breathing, body use and basic maintenance habits!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I used to do 3 hour practices --- long tones (40 minutes), tonguing (15 minutes), slurring, musicality, scales (forward and backward), etc. ---- of course that was a comeback at age 45 -------------- now, nearing 50 I have cut that back to 1.5 to 2 hours a day (and add some trombone in practice as my doubling instrument)------------------I've seen improvement over these past 5 years, but it cost me a lot of TIME. ------ due you have that time?? do you have that commitment?? ----- only things you can answer for yourself

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and as per your other post -- last week (trumpet, piano, guitar) --- I guess you haven't decided to give up trumpet yet. ------ guitar was favored in that one by (TrickG) as pehaps the most enjoyable instrument, and the easiest to attain success on. You might want to take voice lessons also, guitar and singing ----- you know it still comes down to YOU ------------------------ what do you want to do?? --- wish we could help, but every instrument takes time --- there are no shortcuts ----(well you could be a drummer) ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I second Rowuk. It's time to give it up. No passion = No progression.