How did it happen for you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Feb 26, 2007.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    At what point did you realize that you were not only good enough, but should be, a performer? How did you arrive at the point where you said "Ok then. I know what I need to do."? Was it an epiphany,where you sat down to practice something and you just realized you could play something in some way that nobody else around you was doing, and it worked; was it a gradual process over the course of many years that just sort of evolved to be what you do and who you are; or somewhere between the 2?

I would love to hear from all the guest artists on this as well!

2. retiredoc

retiredoc Banned

Feb 22, 2007
    probably in 4th grade, at the encouagement of my band director, and my own intense desire and committment at even that early of an age.

(small caps are good!)

3. Grav

Grav New Friend

Feb 22, 2007
    Rome, Italy:New York City
    When I was very young and saw local cats playing-- making these objects in their hands create those sounds-- well I was hooked. That for me was a heavy revelation. I always say that music chose me, not the other way around.

Grav

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Took me a long time...I started playing in 6th grade. By my senior year in HS I was pretty serious, but not a great player. I thought I'd be ok getting a "real job" and playing hard on the side, finding a community ensemble or something...so when I didn't get into any of the double major programs I'd applied to, I just came to Georgia Tech. By the end of my sophomore year, I knew I wanted to be a musician. Money, job security, all that was scary, but it wasn't the big issue anymore. I was still afraid...afraid I wasn't good enough, afraid I wouldn't make it, afraid of starting over... I decided to stick it out, finish my degree, and work really hard so that when it came time to take auditions for MM or BM after I graduated, I could go almost anywhere I wanted. By now, end of my Junior year, I realized even that was a mistake and I should have left when I had the chance. I'm laboring through a degree that I don't want, constantly trying to make more time to practice, more time to listen, more time to study music. See more concerts. I 'nerd out' many of my friends, and almost everyone I talk to is a musician. I neglect my homework and my studying to practice. But now, I'm also starting to develop some confidence in myself as a player. I've been sitting principal in the orchestra for almost 2 years now, and have played some decent rep. Those concerts have been the most rewarding experiences of my life, outside of being with my (former) girlfriend. And part of what drove us apart was me trying to juggle my dual life, dedicating so much passion and time to trumpet playing and music that I negelcted her.
    So here I am, 2.5 semesters from graduating with a degree in Chemistry, less than 24 hours away from soloing the first movement of the Haydn concerto with the orhcestra, and perfectly aware of the bizzare situation in which I find myself.
    Why it took me this long to figure out, I'll never know. One on hand, it really sucks, because I've suffered a lot being at this school, having to work really hard for something I don't believe in (I believe in science, I'm not passionate about it), something I don't NEED in my life, and having to squeeze music in on the side. But on the other hand, I've worked with some great teachers, and have had some neat oppertunities, and I've had time to develop my chops before throwing myself into the fire, and time to develop confidence. Confidence not only in my playing but in my ability to not give up and to work hard to eventually suceed. So here's hoping it's not too late, and I can fix the problems I still have, and that one day I'll wear tails to work, and toil nameless and unrecognized buy all but a few nerdy, devoted students, regarded by much of society as an appendage less necessary and less valuable than the local football team. Because I've tasted life as an orchestral musician. And I liked it. I've never been more happy than when I'm running from rehearsals to concerts to practice rooms and cramming music in and then finally sitting down, behind 75-odd musicians, and it all clicks. Fountains of Rome, Jupiter, even the haunting solo in Godfather...it doesn't get any more rewarding than that.

So that's my story...it feels good to tell it. Thanks for the topic. And thanks to all the people on this board who I've seen in person that have helped, in one way or another.

Stuart

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    At the time, there was nothing in the world I would rather do.

6. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Good topic.

I knew that I wanted to play for a living since I was about 14.

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm good enough.

Tony

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Good question Glenn,

I can't really say when it happened... maybe it was a lot of small moments of encouragement from teachers and peers.

I think in our hearts of hearts we know it... but its through the influences that we get a better understanding of our "gifts" and how far they can take us.

Can I answer it a little differently then how you asked?

I fell in love with the trumpet through two major influences. Listening to recordings of Maurice Andre and Doc. I think it was at that point that it was determined; "we" could not live without each other.

I was given a token by Gabriel that entitled me to play the horn. Not because of my talent, but because of my love for it.

Sappy I know... but that's what keeps me playing.

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    When I was a junior in college and had come back to the trumpet after giving it up for a couple years. I had a lesson with a guy who was to become my undergraduate teacher and at the end he said, you know, you could do this if you want. That was it.

Michael McLaughlin

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I was 10 my grandfather died and I inherited his long cornet. I first had a music teacher who was a clarinet player - a nice guy but no fire was lit. 2 years later we got a new music teacher who happened to be a trumpet player. Everything just fell into place-the fire was lit and the rest is history!

10. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    When I realized I didn't want to be a lobster fisherman like my father, or sit behind a desk and take orders from some suit. Oh, and then there was that time I realized that there really wasn't algebra in the real world...that really pissed me off....
    It basically happened for me when I realized I had followed this path so far, that it was the only thing I felt I wanted to do...I'll do it until I have a gut feeling that there is something else out there for me that I can define.