How did your NYE gig go?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Solar Bell, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    We played for the U of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center.
    The gig was great big crowd, they all danced all night. We had professional swing dance instructors before the dance and on the breaks and a large number of people took the swing dance lessons.

Our usual 2nd (jazz) book player was not able to attend. (Bill Hart, an alum of the Dorsey band under Sam Donahue)
    Mike Williams, the long time lead player with the Count Basie band played the 2nd, book with us. His wife plays third in the band. Mike was content to play the 2nd book all evening, although I did make sure that he played my lead book on the Basie tunes. What a treat to play next to one of the premier lead players in the world all night.
    We played until 1:30 AM and had a great time.
    [​IMG]
    Yours truly and Mike Williams
    [​IMG]
    A shot of the band.

Let's hear your stories.

-cw-

2. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    or for those of us that DIDN'T have a gig last night, what did you do?
    Me, I spent 6 hours at my gilrfriend's house, and kissed her at midnight.

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow Chuck....you look as happy as a.......well.......fill in the blank with your favorite saying....LOL. Seriously....thanks for sharing your experience and the pictures. It sounds like you had a great time. Congrats and Happy New Year! :D

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I echo Alex Chuck!

Glad to see you had a blast. I would have loved to have had a place to play but didn't so I guess I'll keep looking.

I was fortunate enough to have my children down from the Metro Detroit area and we wrung in the New Year together. I guess when you put it into the proper perspective It's better to have been able to ring in the New Year with my children and my wife; as my children reside with my ex in Michigan so maybe it was best that I didn't have a gig.

Hope 2006 treats you all well!

Best wishes,

The Sheets Family