How do I develop a vibrat/tremolo?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joefab, Dec 26, 2008.

1. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    Hi Everyone...Merry Christmas!

I would like to know how to develop a good, reliable vibrato/tremolo. As of now, when I need to execute a vibrato...I use my right pinky and shake the horn. The problem is...it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it sounds ok and sometimes I cannot hear a vibrato. I also notice that when I am on the cornet an flugelhorn, I can control it more as opposed to when I am using the trumpet.

I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube and I notice that most of the good players have vibratos just using their mouths(or lips and tongues?).

How do I develop this?

Thanks in advance!

2. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    There are several players who are successful with the hand method of vibrato as well. Check out some Doc Severinsen videos. Work on making it more consistant just by practicing it more. Pretend you were singing your part. Get the sound you want in your head. Vibrato can be used to add emotion to a part and make it beautiful. Don't overdo it. We've all been through a fair shair of singers who make us never want to use the word vibrato again. As for the lip method, it's very much the same. Slowly move your lips while playing. It'll will take a great deal of time to develop a nice vibrato. Don't rush it. Just get the sound you want in your head and work to make the most beautiful sound you can each time you play. Your ears will always be your best judge.

3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I see the trumpet as an extension of my voice. I sing into the horn and thats how i get my vibrato. Just manipulating the air. If I am playing lead or mariachi stuff, I combine that with some hand and or lip vibrato. Just mess around with a bunch of stuff, and in time your sound and vibrato will develop. Listening to others is the best way to get the sound you like in your head.

4. gord4862

gord4862 New Friend

Nov 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I've inadvertently developed a virbrato by moving my lower jaw up and down. I've been
    trying to get rid of it, by consiously not moving my jaw. Should I just let it happen?
    Gord4862

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Gord,

You should be able to control it. What happens if you need to play without vibrato...or lets say a steadier one, or more subtle? Be a king or a pawn...your choice!

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I kind of do that, too. It just kind of comes naturally to me, in both singing and playing. It's weird now that i think about it-I have no idea how I make the vibrato, but I know I can consciously control whether I get vibrato, or a more pure, straight tone.

7. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    This is my opinion... don't worry about it if it is working for you! A vibrato is essentially just somehow disrupting the way the air gets into the trumpet. You can even do this by shaking your leg! Just whatever works for you. If you feel like you cannot get an even vibrato, change it! Use your pinky or whatever you want. But I see no reason to change it if it sounds fine, you haven't given us any reason that you don't like it except for the fact that you were wondering maybe whether using the lower jaw wasn't proper form.

Also, maybe there was something more to the question... Were you saying that just during normal playing it happens when you don't even try for a vibrato? What made me think of this in a new light were these words. "I've been
    trying to get rid of it, by consiously not moving my jaw."
    Do you mean that you were trying to get rid of using your lower jaw or trying to get rid of the vibrato that just keeps happening during regular playing. If this is the case then I would say get rid of it, you don't want a vibrato during the whole song. As the Arban book says, "an excess of ornamentation is always in bad taste." I think that concept could also be applied to vibrato.
    Hope everything works out for you! Cheers, HSO

8. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I learned vibrato from my older sister, who is a very accomplished oboist. I use the diaphragm and lungs to create a vibrato. I was foryunate to learn it so early and well, I know of the different methods, but I find that the way I do it, using the lungs and airstream, as opposed to physically moving the horn is far more consistent and solid.
    It's a matter of trial and error, I'd just sit with the horn and play long tones, and experiment, and go from there

Good Luck:D