how do I get confidence in slotting my notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    yep, PRACTICE! otherwise the little sucker will bite you. that's what trumpets do. If it was easy anybody could do it!

2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    "Practice"

Yep we all have to practice, even bad trumpet players practice; whether it is the the correct medicine for our trumpet ailments is another matter.

Merry Christmas

B.U.M.

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    To expand on practicing.... don't just practice in a little room where you can be comfortable that no one will hear you make a mistake. You need to get out and practice in front of an audience. The only way to become comfortable and confident performing is to perform! After all... that is why you play the trumpet! ;)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Preparation for a concert is the key to doing it right. If you are properly prepared then you have the notes in your head BEFORE you play them. If you messed up, then your preparation was not adequate.

I consider preparation MUCH more than rehearsals and practicing. You need to research the music, find out what was going on in the composers head. Preparation is also getting enough sleep, eating regularly, working on your concentration. It is even going to the toilet before you go on stage. For some it means NO COMPUTER on concert day. It can also mean taking a 30 minute walk outdoors before the concert and going through the parts in your head.

This is why I advocate a true daily playing routine. It gets you into good habits and a predictable playing condition. Anything less just does not cut it!

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I am sure that evveryone that stresses practice is right on but I had a trumpet once that if I had any type of jump [interval] of more than 6 notes it was about a 50-50 chance that I would crack the note if the second note was higher. At the time I had two horns, a Schilke S32 and a Kanstul Chicago. The S32 was a very secure horn that hit the notes spot on and the Chicago was the loosest horn that I ever played, in fact everyone that played that Chicago commented on hard it was to hit the notes. I loved the tone of that horn but finally got tired of fighting it and sold it. Every once in a while it may be the equipment, at least that is what I tell the wife unit when buying something else.

7. BlaringNoodles

BlaringNoodles New Friend

Dec 18, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    HSO

We all agree PRACTICE - Here is an easy excercise that will build lip strength and ear training

Interval Studies, pick an easy starting pitch - say second line G.

Play up a step then back, up a 3rd and back, up a 4th and back etc. (in the key of G)
    this will help you hear the distance from tonic to each on of the scale degrees and you can "listen ahead" for the next pitch

Complete the interval leaps to the octave and back down. Do it in as many keys as you know.

Chris Castellon
    '78 YTR-739 W-Schilke B5 reverse lead pipe
    Benge 3X+
    YLF-731
    Olds Amabassador Cornet Silver

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    There is nothing like PRACTICE and more PRACTICE! You should be able to play your piece with a free and open tone without force or strain. Keep your abdominal and lip muscles constantly in motion - contracting and relaxing as you ascend to the upper register and then descending. Concentrate and feel/hear the notes.

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I don`t have the the book in front of me but Arbans has some excellent interval studies, long tones , scale studies and lip slurs will also help. What everyone now calls slotting is really just finding and centering the note , that comes from muscle memory, like when you practice scales and your fingers know the patterns and you don`t have to think of every note when playing through all the different keys, eventually our embouchures do the same thing when playing either an opening note or different intervals.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    HSO,

To add to all good advices that you have already been given, makes sure that you hear the pitch (singing it or wistilng may help) before you start playing. You need to remember the pitch and be able to reproduce it exactly in your brain or it will be always 50/50.