How do I improve my range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Yes I suppose you do have a point. And yes, I already do know pretty much what I have to do to get the higher range. One of my problems is that I need to play with more air, and I'm in the process of fixing that.

However, I managed to reach a high D today! I learnt a new technique/exercise for trumpet playing, I suppose you could say it is a 'pre-warm-up' exercise. It's called the pencil technique. You stick the tip of a pencil in your mouth and hold it there for 5 minutes firmly. Your lip muscles burn and get really hot. It works them out and makes them ready for higher note playing. In addition the next time you play your lips will be stronger, and therefore you'll be able to hold the pencil there more firmly and for longer. Anybody else heard of this?

2. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    The pencil trick has been discussed quite a bit here. I personally would not use it as a warm up though. Making my muscles "burn" is NOT what I want to do when warming up. That's ok to an extent when performing certain exercises, but not for warmup. Also, I find that the pencil trick makes my lips stiff, also the opposite of a warmup.

Jmho.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Schhhhhhh... McTrumpet... Here is the real secret to increasing your range.... Ready....

Practice right, AND then practice, practice, practice for years, years and years.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mctrumpet98, we Americans have a saying: "Don't change horses in the middle of a stream."

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Abe Lincoln possibly wanted to say "don't change mouthpieces in the middle of a season" but may have felt the version VB related would appeal to a wider audience.

--bumblebee

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You know, Rowuk used this technique, albiet for another situation but I think it's application could be expanded to help here too.
    Find your self a 4 qt bucket.... then fill it full of water... carefully place your mouthpiece in it (CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE IT!!, and you want to stand it upright)
    now, put it in the freezer.. let it freeze solid...it must be totally forzen or this won't work!
    Then anytime you are tempted to play on it you should have 2 hours to reconsider the blunder.
    Hope that helps

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep, this is a cold, hard fact!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let mctrumpet98 crash and burn. She/He is not in listening mode anyway. 8 or 9 days before the end of holidays kids get all sorts of crazy ideas about how to conquer the world. I don't understand why the mouthpiece doesn't get considered when vacation STARTS instead of shortly before you have no choices or time for a plan B. I guess the teachers are babysitting instead of teaching.................

Maybe as a parting message: the mouthpiece doesn't give you the D. Range is integrated muscle, brain and breathing activity. Leave one of those out and there is no chance.

9. mctrumpet98

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    OK I get the idea. I've swapped back to my 7C. Although my tone is no longer that excellent 'singing' standard, I can hit those higher notes more comfortably. Thanks for the advice.

10. mctrumpet98

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    You know what, I can understand that. As the player of the instrument, you notice many more slight changes in sound than a listener. My family have said that they can notice a difference in my sound (in a good way), but they can't really identify what it was.