How do I improve my range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Sep 29, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ok McTrumpet, now we've had that small distraction you KNOW what you need to do. Just a thought, are you also doing Music II for the HSC - with a trumpet performance?

2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Well I'm only in Year 8 (NSW) so I have two years before I make that decision. That's also the time where I need to decide whether I'm going to become really serious with music or just keep it as a hobby. But I will most likely be doing Music II, and at least Music I. And of course I'm going to do a trumpet performance :-) I was thinking Arutunian or something from Haydn's/Hummel's Trumpet Concertos.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    So, your 13 or 14 and already at Grade 7 AMEB - Wow, that's a fine achievement. 2 years before you have to decide to take Music I, or the more advanced Music II, for your High School final exams - the NSW Higher School Certificate (if it still exists in 4 years when you get to attempt it). Nothing much to distract you from your AMEB Grade 8 then, and plenty of time to experiment with your new mouthpiece after the AMEB exam. Keep up the fine work.

4. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Yep, you're right. I'm 13 and 6 months old. I'm planning to sit AMEB Grade 8 in Year 10, when it isn't too busy (no School Certificate anymore, woot!) and yeah that gives me a year to play around with this new mouthpiece. That means I've got two years to try and master Arutunian and the first movement of Haydn's Concerto and the 12th study (the one in Concert Eb Minor) of the Arban's 14 studies. Also, I'm getting a pro trumpet (probably something like a Stomvi Mahler or Titan) for Christmas next year, so hopefully it'll be better for me. I've had this Yamaha YTR1335 Student Trumpet for what, almost 5 years now, so it is time for me to get a new trumpet.