how do i improve my upper range and tone there?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lilbink93, Jul 3, 2011.

1. lilbink93

lilbink93 New Friend

Feb 21, 2011
    i am in high school and have a very good upper range. i want it to sound more free and increase intonation up there. i also would like to keep adding to my range. i would love as much info as possible. i do lead trumpet in jazz but like more of the classical setting.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    not nearly enough information...

What exactly is "a very good upper range" to you??

When you say that you want it to be "more free" and "increase intonation" does that mean your sound is out of tune and forced??

What equipment are you playing on when you play lead vs when you play regular concert band stuff?

3. lilbink93

lilbink93 New Friend

Feb 21, 2011
    i can easily go up to double f. but i would like it not to sound so pinched. i also want to play more easily up there such as being free. its not forced or out of tune but just as smooth as wynton marsalis. i play a 28a conn connstellation cornet with a 14a4a schilke for jazz and king symphony with a 1c megatone for classical.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The 14A4A is a pretty tight mpc, and also bright. It can sound big & powerful with good air support, but thin and squeally without air.

This is what seeng a pro teacher is important... maybe two teachers. A good local pro jazz/lead player for that kind of playing and a technical "legit" teacher. If you are lucky they can be the same person.

I am not a fan of the combination of the 28A + 14A4A... the 28A is a cornet with a conical bore. Plus it was not made for a trumpet mouthpiece (or, are you using a cornet shanked 14A4A?)

If it was the 28B I'd like it better... I think the "A" cornet version needs a bigger, deeper cup, and of course the Conn taper cornet mpc. Your intonation woes could be as simple as the mismatch between a straight trumpet tight backbore with a big cornet conical bore leadpipe.

Use air pressure from your diaphram to add range rather than lip pressure. Practice chromatic scales and clark exercises as softly as you can.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. lilbink93

lilbink93 New Friend

Feb 21, 2011
    its a cornet shilke. and would a monette mpc. be a goodd investment?

what other techniques could i use, ( i practice clark studies)

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Dude... you can't buy intonation and strength.

Even so, if you have a mismatch between a horn/leadpipe/mouthpiece you could be making it hard to lock in on some partials. I'd suggest getting a tpt 14A4A, or maybe a 15A4A... and try a few other horns and see of the equipment.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long tones in the staff -- look up Cat Anderson Method, also look up Keith Fiala on the net. Keith has some youtube stuff that shows (more or less) how to use "faster" air with a relaxed embouchure to help with the higher range.

My opinion -- range, endurance, intonation, and strength, and good tone comes with hundreds -- if not 1,000's of hours of diligent, sometimes boring work (long tones aren't always fun). there are really no shortcuts -- -yes mpc's and horns can make it easier --- but you still have to put in the "horn to face time"

8. lilbink93

lilbink93 New Friend

Feb 21, 2011
    thanks for the advice, but i love asking questions so; why long tones in the staff?

9. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Long tones ABOVE the staff!! If you want to PLAY up there you
    have to PRACTICE up there.
    Just don't "hit" notes...and the worst thing to do is blow your brains
    out!!
    Play softly and relax- it will happen. Colin's Lip Flexibility book worked for me.
    Have fun,
    -Andrew

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    THIS IS FROM GMONADY ON THE RECENT POST TITLED ---LONG TONES,
    but is a very good explanation.
    gmonady-- is actually Dr. Gary Onady of Wright State Med School in Dayton, Ohio -- I checked -- he is legit.

here it is

GMONADY
    Re: Long tones
    Slow vibratory action of low register long tones gets the lips vibrating at a good steady frequency. This is kind of like the pre-run stretch a runner does when he leans against the wall to stretch leg muscle. It helps "warm" the muscle by getting blood flow into the area. The better this flow, the more nutrients bath the muscle, which ultimately minimizes the stress to the muscle on demand.