how do i improve my upper range and tone there?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lilbink93, Jul 3, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I might add -- long tones - in the staff -- allow your muscles to build up without stressing them --- and you should rest as much as you play during this long process. (again think in terms of weeks and months to evaluate progress -- and don't think in days -- like tomorrow you will be great ))
    play 5 minute - then rest 5 -- play 10 -- rest 10 ---- that allows the blood to flow and replenish the muscles.
    also -- do a heavy day (lots of long tones) --- and follow that by a light day (not many long tones, and maybe cut the practice back a bit also ---- HEAVY DAYS, back to back, and always trying to play HIGH NOTES will actually inhibit your muscles to build in your face --- those muscles need to recover -- and rebuild -- and it takes a day or so at your younge age --- much longer for me at 46.
    ***another point is high notes -- take low pressure of the horn to the lips -- just enough to seal the mpc --- anything more will crush the lips, stop the blood flow, and basically make your sound suck -- those lips (in the center where the aperture is) must be free to vibrate -- that is what makes the sound -- crushing them with pressure equals bad sound, and less endurance***

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES - and now you have some answers -- the rest is up to you:thumbsup:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Learn the names of the notes first. Octaves start with a C - your double F is a high F at best.

We always notice when school is out. All of the high note posters pop up with range claims that would make them better than the pros.

So now to get to business.

Your sound is pinched because you pinch it off when you play high. That comes most of the time from pressure which in turn comes from bad breathing habits. To fix it, you have to "unlearn" the bad habits and learn new ones.

As you are in highschool and talk about pinched, your 14A4A mouthpiece is a pretty bad choice for a cornet. A 1 C is also a mouthpiece that is pretty extreme. IF your embouchure is suitable for a 14A4A (I have my doubts), the 1C may also not be the right decision. Only your teacher can know for sure. Without local help the chances of figuring this all out are about zero. Talk to your teacher.

4. lilbink93

lilbink93 New Friend

Feb 21, 2011
    i asked for help, not to be ridiculed. you have now idea how i play so take your "doubts" elsewhere.

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You came here, asked a question that I honestly answered. I know exactly how you play. You told us and I believe you.................................

Any kid that starts a post with an easy double F tells us everything that we need to know. Increasing intonation "up there" and a 14A4A on a cornet tells us even more.

Truth of the matter is, players with a real double F tell us how it works (there just aren't a whole lot of players that own the note and need to talk about it.............)

Double F is 2 octaves above the F at the top of the staff.

Any questions about my doubts?

Want to count the posts about gaining range since school let out? I do. I am always amazed that your teachers do not cover this in adequate depth.

As far as taking my doubts elsewhere: you came to an open internet forum asked a question and now want to pick your answers? That is like going to an audition and disagreeing with the adjudicator.

Read my original answer - get your breathing together, reduce pressure and when you grow up, maybe you will have a real double F. I would suggest a real cornet mouthpiece however. Something with a vee cup and a rim comfortable to your chops. If you get along with the 14A4A, that would be the candidate for the trumpet and the extreme upper register.

I play Monette. I like them a lot. The mouthpieces work well for players that have a relaxed approach to playing. The more pressure and body tension one has, the harder it is to make them work. From your description of your playing, I have no idea if it is worth the investment.

coolerdave likes this.
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I wonder if I can say that TM is not club Robinson -- without thinking someone is being ridiculed??? NOPE -- I had better not say thatROFL

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    lilbink93 ... this is a forum mostly made up of men and woman not just kids... and alot really great players .... great opportumity for you .. if you want it ...
    try not to react to the suggestons but think about them ...

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is and it isn't. Club Robinson is a paid event catering to people with little internal motivation..... You don't go there to couch potato. The animators provide the vacationers with an alibi - for general previous non-performance.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1, but probably the OP is not coming back --- and I won't be sticking up for this one:shhh:

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I remember that I knew even way back in high school that a high F was the F above high C.
    My private teacher back then actually worked for Elden Benge when he was in Chicago and my teacher always said the upper range is the toughest to master and it takes time to do so.
    I find the arrogance of some young posters (and some older posters) to be just a reflection of where our society is headed. Instant answers and gratification coming from people who basically don't have a freakin' clue. If they get an answer they don't like, they get all bent out of shape about it without having any logical reason to do so.
    I have 42 years of playing at an advanced level and have played with some great musicians and not just trumpet players, either. This has given me the opportunity to learn what is real and realize much of the advice given here is second hand info and more than a little bit of it also just plain wrong.
    When I see something stupid, I know Rowuk is going to have some very pertinent things to say about it and he hits it right on the head. When it is rubbish he says so. (As some other here do as well).
    Quite frankly, I don't give a hoot what most of the posters say on this and the other website and to me it is quite obvious who here really knows what trumpet playing and being a musician is.
    Rich T.