how do i improve my upper range and tone there?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lilbink93, Jul 3, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH my -- I hope to gain your acceptance and approval -- and that you know that I am a trumpet player -- at least I know what I can, and unfortunately can't play--YET ---here is my take on the hoot ROFL

YouTube - ‪Woodsy Owl 1977 TV public service announcement‬‏

2. lilbink93

lilbink93 New Friend

Feb 21, 2011
    FOR ROWUK: now that i think about, i do have some pretty bad breathing habits. i had some lesson a couple months ago and thats what we worked on? what is your advice to try to create new, good habits?

3. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Amen. My first question to the OP would be to define "double F." The highest note I have heard Maynard play in all of my recordings is double D, so double F would be awesome, as long as it is actually played and not squeaked.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yeah man -- this is what WE are talking about!!!!!!
    OK FOLKS -- I am thinking that the OP here is a TEACHABLE young person -- do you think we can help???
    (((ps -- I was scolded by another moderator for answering a question in another post before the ADDRESSEE (wilmer wise) could answer --- and NOW I am getting to this post before ROWUK --- oh my))) I am soooo badROFLROFLROFL

5. lilbink93

lilbink93 New Friend

Feb 21, 2011
    i love to learn and always have but i also have the problem of controlling the tongue. I was talking to another player yesterday and saidthe same thing and i would benefit more from new breathing techniques than a new mouthoiece or teumpet can do.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND I think at certain times we all have trouble with controlling our toungues --- and I think it is good that you recognize this -- of course I'm 46 so instead of people saying "He's disrespectful" -- they are starting to say --"he is becoming a miserable old @$**&".
    Aside from that -- there is lots to learn here at TM.
    I wish all the answers were easy -- breath control, faster air, and having the strength in the chops to hold the aperture in place -- that all takes time. BUT you can do it!!! that is what I believe as a comebacker who was always mediocre at best -- now at 46 I realize it takes time, persistence, and especially patience with yourself - and I am better than ever.
    ** another side note is there is a MENTAL aspect to playing also - meaning that confidence and assurance to YOU from yourself -- if you get frustrated --- that will only hurt your practice, and your outlook -- frustration will never help ***
    one step at a time, patience, practice, persistence!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

7. lilbink93

lilbink93 New Friend

Feb 21, 2011
    this info has helped a lot. would also do cardio workouts help?

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    personally -- I think 30 minutes 3 times a week of a aerobic workout with elevated heart rate is a very healthy option. That has always been the standard health improvement recommendation for numerous years.
    You will help your body to be healthier and improve your breathing--
    also along with exercise -- don't forget to eat healthy ---good nutrition and especially protein helps with building muscles --- lots of fluids (water) also

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    To be honest, I don't think that the internet is of any use to you. You came on hot, I called you out - with common sense, you got a case, I called you out again and now your breathing and tonguing are weak?

I will not post what I am thinking.

What you need is a steady local teacher willing to give you a spanking when you need it.

The bottom line for becoming a decent trumpeter is build a solid foundation and then successively each story of the house starting with the ground floor!

Ever see a cat stuck at the top of a tree waiting for the fire department to come? What do they do? No, they do not wave a magic wand and give the cat wings, they grab the scared cat by the scruff of the neck and bring it back to ground zero. The same with you. TEACHER, PATIENCE, FOUNDATION BUILDING and in my sometimes not so humble opinion, a bit of humility goes a long way in getting the job done.

So, if you are still with me, the game plan is getting local help. Long tones, lipslurs, scales are the basic building blocks. No "special", esoteric breathing exercizes are required in the beginning. Just simple big relaxed breath and exhaling into the horn.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A good experienced teacher, someone who has a record of helping students really develop as players. This is what you need. If you can't fine one locally consider Skype lessons. I've been able to help a number of students this way.