How do I increase lip strength?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I've had some benefit from buzzing lips alone, working on a teeny thread of air that makes a very high tone, doing the exercises Markie talks about, and just messing around playing TUNES.

Markie didn't invent the exercise, the 7 in 7 thing, it's in my Gordon book and probably goes back to Clarke and maybe back to Arban, but it's a good one.

That video kicks butt! And it looks like he's playing a cornet too. It shows the ideal, just using lips and air to hot all those resonances, all the way to as far as the guy can go.

I'll tall ya, that 7 in 7 exercise is such a good idea, who doesn't have 7 minutes in the AM and PM to practice it?

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    To be clear, I do not care if Markie claims to have invented the 7 position thing or not, I was trying to get at what exercise he was advocating.

The exercise you saw in that video, if done no louder than a mf up one octave and down one octave, is an excellent way to lean where the notes are and develop finesse.

The Colin flexibilities, again done through the 7 positions, are an excellent way to build power and strength.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Frasurehutch sez:
    Oh, and incidentally, when I was talking about "Given the vast number of people who post authoritatively" I wasn't specifically referring to you, I was talking about taking any post here on its face value. Get over yourself.

------------
    They told me if I dood it before Cwristmas, I'll get a whoopin'.
    But heck, it's so worth it!!
    Welcome to the ignore pile.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Not that I understood a word of your last post, except the ignore pile part. I just gotta say, I'm crushed.

Look dude, if you're going to put yourself out there as an expert, prepare and expect to be challenged and questioned. Not that that was my intent - I'm was only trying to be clear on what you're advocating.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings :)