How do I know when I'm using too much pressure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Sep 24, 2009.

1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Ok for a while now I've been trying to lose the amount of pressure that I use to play my instrument. I was wondering if the correct amount of pressure is zero, no pressure, or is there a fine line between when it turns into a bad habit and when it's ok to use a small amount of pressure. So, is there a right amount of pressure or should I strive for zero pressure? Thanks

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    When your lips look like mine.....you're probably using too much.
    Although mine are always like this.
    [​IMG]

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Zero pressure doesn't exist...but if you ask the question, you probably use too much. SB, are you sure that this is from playing? :shock: There may be other reasons... :shock: ROFL

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You know that you are using too much pressure when your high range stops at any particular note. Some inexperienced players call this "brick wall" which it is not.

Playing with optimum levels of pressure will let you play higher, but the sound just thins out above that what your breath can support.

Marks on the lips are no sign, only an indication of irritation.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Exactly!

My lips, like Satchmo and Maynard ALWAYS have the mark...even days away from the horn. They get redder if I play a pp scale or a four hour gig.

Nothing to do with pressure.

6. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    You should have just enough pressure to make a seal around your lips with the peice, and that's about it.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    There's a device for trumpet that worked well for me and others. I think its called a mouthpiece pressure regulator (or something like that). its a training device.
    I used it for a while and it helped me get in touch with how much is too much.
    Now I play much more relaxed and can tell when I'm using too much pressure and tension. Also, I'm a big believer in observational learning. watch Alison Balsom's Youtube and pay close attention to her face and the amount of stress you see on it.

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I would have to say that if you snap the little finger ring off the lead-pipe while playing, your using a little too much pressure. If when the ring snaps off, you hit youself in the face, this is probably some extreme pressure and you should consider not quite as much ! : - )

Jack

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    If you have some bucks burning in your pocket, this is the device that Markie is probably talking about:

[​IMG]

Browsing Store - Pressure Adapter, Trumpet

Otherwise you can give a try to the Roy Stevens' palm technique:

[​IMG]

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If there is a mouthpiece mark on the back of your neck ......... ? ;-)