How do I know when It's time for a new instrument?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SammyP, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SammyP

SammyP New Friend

Apr 5, 2011
    Hello Everyone. This is my first post here and the title is pretty self explanatory. I have been playing for about a year on an Olds Ambassador. The horn is in pretty poor condition with many dents throughout and whatnot. I have not played a "pro" or any such trumpet before so I have no real reference to what a trumpet could and should be. Anyways I have heard of how great the Olds Ambassadors are but I still feel I might be missing out on something. I have limited budget(around 300 dollars) and don't know if trumpets that price will be much better.

So, how do I know when It's time for a new instrument?

Thanks for the help!

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Try as many horns as you can until one says "get me" more loudly than any other, and louder than your current horn. That would be about the time.

But you say "poor condition"? How is that affecting your sound/comfort?

--bumblebee

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Bumblebee is right on with the answer. Go out and play as many horns as possible and then see how you feel.

4. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Hi,

It sounds like you're a pretty recreational player, and it also sounds like you've only played for a year.

If so, it's definitely not time for a new horn now.

It's time for a new horn when you get skilled enough that a new horn would actually open up new doors for you playing wise.

This may take a few more years, or it might never happen, depending on how much you play. If you stay recreational to the point that your only playing is done in community bands and the like (non competitive environments) and you practice only occasionally (once or twice a week), then you might never have a need for a new trumpet.

HSO

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sammy,

The Olds Ambassador, though billed as an entry level horn by Olds, is a very nice playing instrument (provided yours is in playing condition). There have been a few pros that have even played them. If you have only been playing a few years, it is not likely you have outgrown it.

As others above have posted, go try out as many horns as you can. The right one will eventually call out to you. MUsic shops are a good place to start. Carry your mouthpiece with you. Most have tryout rooms.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The Ambassador is a good horn, and a good horn on which to learn. Dents on an Ambassador mean nothing as far it being playable. Only a dent that would constrict air would be really bad. Just cause it's ugly doesn't mean it won't work for you.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have read wondrful reviews about the Olds Ambassador from the pros on this site.
    If the horn is playable.. save up your money .. at least double for a good used horn... if you feel you need one. Depending on how much you practice the only thing you may be missing by not having a "pro" model horn is having to work harder to move around the horn and play in tune.
    that being said... I have only played older Bach Strads and I love then.

8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    To be blunt - No. Trumpets around that price, even used, will not be better. The Ambassador has a reputation for being a good solid instrument. Dents probably won't have a negative effect unless they are in the leadpipe. If there is something really wrong with the trumpet your money would probably be better spent getting it fixed by a shop than buying another cheap trumpet. I think to get a good quality, used, pro trumpet you would have to spend over $800. My .02 is to have the Ambassodor fixed if it needs it (not necessary for cosmetic problems) and get a used pro trumpet when you feel the Ambassodor is holding you back in some specific way.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    "So, how do I know when It's time for a new instrument"?

As soon as your wife isn't paying attention....

But seriously folks,spend $50.00 down at your local tech to get things like water key corks, valve alignment, a cleaning, check the horn out for leaks. If you are blowing into the correct end, that Ambassador should be sounding great, barring any issues. :-?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    NOTE: no matter how temped you are to buy one of those nice shiney brand new cheap trumpets on e-Bay.. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT
    and in case I wasn't clear
    DO
    NOT
    they are crap.. junk ... fall apart.. piston blocks go out of round ..
    IMHO .. and alot of other guys opinion too
    :)