How do I know when It's time for a new instrument?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SammyP, Apr 7, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I will also add to the saving your money angle, scour craigslist and similar sites. I have a Getzen Eterna Severinsen I found and with repairs have less than $200 in it. I also had the find of the century (for me) when I bought a pristine Blessing Super Artist for $125 (it's the one Clifford Brown played (had to say that since EVERY one listed on e-Bay does) )!! Happy hunting and keep practicing! :thumbsup:

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey, since nobody else mentioned it ....... :welcome:

As you can see, we're an opinionated bunch. How your Ambassador sounds depends on when it was made, what condition it's in, etc. There is a lot of variety to the Ambassadors, I've heard ones that I didn't like at all and I have one that I like quite a bit.

One big advantage of the Ambassador, for somebody who's relatively new, is that it's easy to play ..... same with some other "student' horns, like the Conn Director. Conventional wisdom probably says that, at 1 year, it's good enough. I say, who cares about conventional wisdom (it's too conventional for trumpet players). I've been playing a year, roughly, and I have pro trumpets (signature).

I agree with the poster above .... With $300 (or a little more saved) and a little time, you could probably find a pro horn (my Severinsen was $150). It could take a few months, though .....

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    All of the above recommendations have merit. There is only one problem...for someone who has only been playing a year, you likely do not recognize all of the models that have been mentioned or any others for that matter, to be able to tell a professional from a student model.

That is why it is doubly important to find ones that you can try before buying. Finding something on ebay is for those who have some experience and can tell the difference between models just by looking at them (and even then, that is not always accurate for ebay listings).

Good luck.

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Seeing as most of my answers were already answered...I'll just give this advise.

When you ARE ready for a new horn, save as much as you can and get the best horn that you can. It'll be worth it. Trust me. Some people just get so excited for a new horn that they just buy the first one within their "budget". I recommend that you don't fall into that trap. If you do, you'll just end up "needing" another new/better horn in a year or so.

Work with what you have for now, save up your money, and get something really nice later on! Just my opinion/advise.

Good luck,
    Kujo

5. SammyP

SammyP New Friend

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks for the advice and welcome. I'll be sure to try out some other instruments before buying a new one.

6. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    with what you stated, I would say keep on playing that Olds for a few more years until you you feel like you played enough to take it seriously and have enogh for used pro horn like a strad or xeno, or if you just want a brand new horn then maybe go for an intermidiate model, ir if you wait and keep saving you can get a new pro horn. That what I did for three years and I got a brad new yamaha xeno...

7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I will second Kujo's advice, save up, and get yourself something that actually feels like a reward for your hard work on the instrument. Because then you'll be motivated to practice even harder! Modern instruments to me just seem easier to play, out of the ones I've tried that is! Except a 28 Conn 22b NYS that I had for a while, that thing played very easily and it only cost me 400 dollars! Had a really cool sound and look too! Anyways, good luck Sammy.