How do i make my brother practice his trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach2112, Jun 24, 2012.

1. bach2112

bach2112 New Friend

Jun 12, 2010
    I have a brother that is 14 years old. hes is going into 9th grade this coming year. last year while he was in 8th grade he was 1st chair in his middle school band. i asked my band director last year if he could play in our school marching band and she said yes. he was very happy and improved his playing because he practiced more. its now summer and he just wont practice no matter what i tell him. i tell him that after nxt year hes going to have to be the leader of the trumpet section because my friend and i are graduating this year. he is (was) a very good player around may. he knows 6 scales, has a nice sound and can (used to be able to) his a solid high d. but he just wont practice now. hes gotten worse ever since he hasnt played. his sound has suffered, his range and endurance too. its pretty upsetting for me to hear him at this level because i know he is alot better than this. what should i do, or can i do get him to practice more?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    You are in a difficult position. Me being 47 years old can only sympathize with you, as I have seen many people over the years just quit music. I have a friend at the moment who was an excellent low brass player (all the instruments - baritone, tuba, trombone) --- he probably didn't have to work nearly as hard as me. We both gave up the instruments for many years -- life as an adult I guess. Years later, my friend wants to be in the community band -- but he hasn't picked up his instrument yet, to try and practice.

just keep encouraging your brother -- perhaps if you have a good relationship -- you can honestly just ask him to explain what HE WANTS OUT OF MUSIC. Perhaps at this point in his life, he no longer wants to pursue music, or doesn't want the pressure that would be placed on him as a leader.

rest assured YOU CANT FORCE HIM TO PRACTICE -- it has to come from his heart, and his desire to achieve success ---- you can only help find out where his thoughts about this are.

good luck in that

3. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Lead by example - how much do you practice? If you're cranking out Clarke studies all day every day, maybe that will put him in the mood to practice more.

Maybe see if you can get him to play duets with you sometimes?

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Good response Pete!

5. bach2112

bach2112 New Friend

Jun 12, 2010
    I think he is still interested in music, because every time we have a rehearsal he seems to be having fun. but after last rehearsal he told me he isnt that good today. and i tried to explain to him it is because you do not practice every day like you used to. and he just looked at me and didnt say much.

6. bach2112

bach2112 New Friend

Jun 12, 2010
    Thank you Pete. That is a great idea. I will ask my director if i can borrow a duet book for trumpets. that is a very good idea.

7. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    My soon to be seventh grade son is in the same situation. I think he has the potential to be a good trumpeter (of course I'm his dad), but he hasn't touched his trumpet since school ended a couple weeks ago.

I just bought a cornet on ebay. I'm hoping to have him give me lessons over the summer so he doesn't get too rusty before next year.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

here - try this -- a great role model, if you believe what this trumpet player says!!!!!

Severinsen Says Practice Makes Perfect, MHS Students Listen
    "“Think seriously about what you are doing and what you want to do and do it,” Severinsen said in response to a question about his inspiration."
    and also he say this
    "“My biggest obstacle in my trumpeting career was myself,” Severinsen said. “By being lazy when I should have been practicing. By doing things that were not helpful to being a trumpet player, or anything else.”

and if you are too young to know your trumpet player history -- Doc Severinsen is probably the most well known trumpeter in the world, and still going strong at 83 --- and his advice is probably worth considering, if your brother is interested!!!!!!!!!!

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    For starters you could ask him why he doesn't want to play as well anymore. Then you could lecture him about being a slacker. You could take your horns out in public and do some busking...a few bucks here and there really boosts my confidence.

Even though I read at a 4th grade music level I still manage to get a 5$ tip once and a while.

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Short answer.

You don't.