How do I play a lead mouthpiece? help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Coehlers95, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Coehlers95

Coehlers95 New Friend

Jul 12, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Heyguys! My name is Cole im 19 from MN and a sophmore trumpet major in college. I like many have had quite a few struggles with finding mouthpieces and such and I just need some help... BTW sorry for the title of this thread sounding like some 8th grader that wants to play high notes.... lol

So Im an pretty player and I really work hard and sounding the best and playing the best I can. I practice for average 3-4hrs a day and my chops are in good shape. I have been playin a Yamaha heavyweight 14B4 since like 9th grade and it works great... or HAS worked great. its my only mouthpiece I use... allround, small combo gigs, concert bands, pit orchestras, and even lead. I get a good sound and have a pretty solid high A (even towards the end of a day) so Im not looking for a mouthpiece to play high! Im just not getting the SOUND I want when playing lead. So after years of wasting money on guessing mouthpieces I discovered GR last month and only heard awesome things! So I set up and had a consultation and bought a lead piece 66SZ and this week Im buying a 66M for more or less my all around school mouthpiece. (Im getting both because I cant use a lead mouthpiece for everything and I dont want to be changing a lot about my mouthpiece).

So this is where the help I need is. I guess simply how do I transition into using my lead mouthpiece?? Like I said I havent changed mouthpieces in 6 years besides all the money I wasted over the years trying to buy shallow lead mouthpieces and always bottoming out and sometimes never even getting a sound! I get that adding this to my equipment regularly means I have to practice more but is there anything specific I should be doing with it (exercises, long tones avoid high register for awhile) to prevent any issues? now the 66SZ and the 66M are the same rim, contour, bite, alpha angle etc. the only change is the cup. so should I not use the lead mouthpiece until Im adjusted to the 66M or since its the same mouthpiece feel will that just work itself out??

Sorry if this just seems like a ridiculous post but this is a big deal for my playing and I dont want to risk having a few bad weeks of playing or causing issues because... well I have gigs, and school grades based on my playing and such!

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

- Cole

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Any equipment change... sneak up on it. Start soft and small and work your way louder. Starting out blowing your brains out on anything is usually less effective.

Tom

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I transitioned to a lead style mouthpiece kind of by accident. At the time I played everything on a plain #2 Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece, which is not a small mouthpiece by any means. I had been given a Schilke 14A4a by a friend when I had bought a piccolo trumpet - he felt it would be a better mouthpiece for pic, but I wound up selling the pic, and found myself in a Latin band. At the time, I was fiddling around doing the mouthpiece switch, swapping in the 14A4a any time I wanted to try to play a specific line up an octave, but I was still playing almost everything on the Marcinkiewicz.

At the time my day job was being a bugler in the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, and this is where the "accident" comes into play. I got to a gig one Friday night and realized that my Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece was not in my trumpet case - it was still in my bugle back on Fort Myer, and I didn't have time to go get it. The only mouthpiece I did have in the case was, you guessed it, the Schilke 14A4a.

I didn't think I was going to get through the gig at first. The first set was pretty hit or miss and at times my chops were collapsing into the cup. (Thank goodness this was a pretty low-pressure gig and band!) By the end of the gig, I was able to work with it, and rather than switch back to the Marcinkiewicz for the next night's gig, I continued to use the 14A4a, which was markedly easier to use from a sound and endurance perspective. From that point forward, as long as I don't go too small, I can switch back and forth between two different types without much issue.

My suggestion is to simply not use another mouthpiece for a few weeks. Once you adapt to being able to use the smaller mouthpiece, you'll be able to go back and forth between that and whatever else you use. It might take a few weeks though. Earlier last year I switched from my Schilke 14A4 to a Warburton 4SVW - similar, but a bit smaller/shallower. Initially I lost a little bit - my upper register thinned out and I lost my top note or two on my range, but Ken Titmus at Warburton warned me that this would probably happen and to stick with it. I did, and the Warburton has been a big improvement over the Schilke.

Any mouthpiece change usually takes some time to adapt. Just work with it and be patient and you'll be using it effectively in no time.

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I am a GR dealer and I have a good idea who you consulted with up there.
    My question is: Did you ask the consultant how to approach this? If you didn't, ask him.
    You certainly do need to transition to both of them by equal amounts time on both. The rims the same and alpha angles are very close. The cups are different as is the backbore. Careful, attentive practice should make this an easy transition, but do not add your Yamaha to the mix.
    Once you get adjusted to the GR pieces, you'll likely never look at your Yamaha with any thought of playing it again.
    For those who want to see what he has purchased, look here. The 66 series is in the 3C range.
    GR 66 Series Trumpet Mouthpieces
    Rich T.

5. Coehlers95

Coehlers95 New Friend

Jul 12, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hi Rich!
    Umm well no I didn't specifically ask how do I transition to using them. I guess there was a lot I was think about when it came to choosing and ordering that it didnt cross my mind. So in your opinion Rich... Should I do what trickg said and only use the 66SZ for a bit until I get used to playing the rim and shallow cup and then start using the 66M??

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Basically lead is a complete change in almost anything that you have been doing. When players try to use the same habits from bigger mouthpieces, their chops fall into the cup after a while and no more sound comes out. All that I can offer is that you overdose on lipslurs to build the maximum feel for keeping the lips out of the cup. Once the lipslurs are "awesome", you can increase the sizzle.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Use the SZ for now. Rowuk and trickg are right on with their info.
    There will be time later for the 66M.
    Rich T.