How do I play before 9pm?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thecruxofthebiscuit, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I have lessons early, before school, but I play best then. I'm a morning person. Although you should still be able to play at a moderate level at other times. Hummmm. :think:

2. thecruxofthebiscuit

thecruxofthebiscuit New Friend

Nov 26, 2014
    Getting enough sleep during the week is a constant struggle for me, but I'm getting there. I feel so much better during the whole day when I get 8 hours; the difference is marked.

I don't have sleep apnoea (as far as I know...), and I snore from time to time. I tried putting Carmex on my lips before bed last night, at that certainly seemed to improve the condition of my lips in the morning. However, I didn't practice until 10:00pm, so I can't comment on how it would actually affect playing. Seems like a step in the right direction, though.

I don't have a particularly salty diet, and I drink water copiously, so I don't think that it's that.

Also, a consistent and steady warmup is probably a good idea. I tend to do a minute or so of slurs and low notes before going into a tune, but perhaps that could be slowed down a bit.

Thanks for all the advice so far; I feel that a combination of tactics ought to yield some results.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I almost never practice before 11:00pm. Usually 11:00 - 00.30.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    A minute or so of warm up? My morning sessions are the hardest. I do about 15-20 minutes of long tones rest for 5 and then hit the lip slurs for another 15-20 put it down for awhile and come back with scales and tounging and fingering. It's not till the evening that I practice tunes. Maybe you need to just hit the basics harder, oh and nothing strenuous in the morning just easy middle register stuff then lower then higher

5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    what really helps me most when my lips are moving enough, or if its early, is free buzzing. next time you play early try this, it will definitely help get the blood flowing. i actually suggest everybody should do this, but specifically the OP because hes the one with the problems. its pretty important to have a piano as well, although various apps or even tuners can help just get a basic pitch. start with the c below the staff, and just free buzz each note going up chromatically until the c an octave above. by free buzz i mean without the mouthpiece- just your lips. it takes a little more work and control, but it really helps. once youve gone up chromatically, start back at the lower c again, this time buzzing five notes. up a third and down. for example, you would buzz C D E D C, and then go up a half step to Db Eb F Eb Db and so on. this is when the piano is handy just to make sure youre on pitch. after doing this youre attacks will be clearer and your notes will speak much easier, especially early in the morning. i hope this helps!

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A recent observation that I hope may shed some light.

For the last 5 weeks, I've been going out sea fishing one day a week, and both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I've been noticing a gradual change in my playing over the period until this morning where I couldn't buzz anything below mid-stave C; high C and up came without effort; and tone was totally down the pan: practically no core and nastily bright. It seems that the combination of sun, wind and salt (and maybe age!) starts turning my lips into biltong: they've gone much stiffer and stopped wanting to vibrate at low frequencies.

A pretty extreme example maybe, but I also notice something of these effects if we've had too many air-conditioners on making the house humidity very low at night.

After many years living in places where hydration and salt balance are not merely health but survival issues, I agree with TrumpetMD that the body does a remarkably good job at looking after your inside bits in those respects. But skin damage is skin damage and that takes time to repair. If you suck the moisture out of your skin with dryness, sun, wind, salt, heat, cold, spices, sugars, detergents etc etc you've effectively suffered a burn to a greater or lesser extent. The 'lesser' extents may affect your first 5 minutes of practice; the more severe will take longer to heal.

Now I don't worry so much, because I make my living doing other things. And it's good to be able to practise some high stuff tension-free now and then. I know that my high notes will come less easily by the end of the week, but my low register will be back and over a couple more weeks (providing I cut out the fishing trips) my tone will return to something close.

I find vaseline helps a bit. Not much, but a bit.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A brief post-script.

Our generator croaked yesterday so we had no power (including air conditioning) overnight.

This morning after a few mid-stave long tones, I went straight into the scales encompassing low F# to high C without problem. Tone still too bright and a few notes short on core near the bottom of the stave but as different from yesterday's performance as chalk and cheese.

Not discounting the other factors for a moment, but clearly overnight air-conditioning definitely has quite an impact on early practice sessions for me at least.

8. thecruxofthebiscuit

thecruxofthebiscuit New Friend

Nov 26, 2014
    I had a lesson today and, although I didn't play my best, I certainly played better than I have in any of my 5 previous lessons. It could be down to coincidence, but I suspect that the application of Carmex last night might have helped.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I most generally as a rule will always play at the time of day that it happens to be at that particular time. No other time have I experimented with to this date, which is today. Also I always play today, not the next day, not yesterday, but today. I hope this clears things up.
    Now, to be serious, I don't even understand how there can be a difference playing at different times of the day, not that I can't sympathize, just never had such an issue. Lucky me, I guess.

10. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would liken it to when i wrestled in high school (much to the chagrin of my band director who forced me to quit the band when wrestling matches interfered with practices) where I learned:

I would practice after practice - one day a week or in-between when others are just milling around I'd work moves on someone willing. I just found someone willing and wrestled another 15 minutes. It really helped my endurance. AND, more importantly, wrestle someone one weight class above mine. When I wrestled someone back in my weight class they felt like a feather. Just view it as pushing through and developing by doing something different*, like practicing when YOU want to. Day practice can be viewed as just a learning experience. It CANNOT hurt you.

* Like in weight lifting, you are to vary your exercises for various muscle groups so as not to get "stale" and stop progressing. the term "Practice" in music equates to the term "Training" in bodybuilding. You are "training" your body.

* Like in math, you (and your brain) will adapt if given enough time. Especially algebra because the brain took me about two weeks of a half hour a day of doing problems to finally one day "snap" open and "get it". It was magical.

The point in all these disciplines is to "shock" your body or mind a bit to shake it up and make it grow better.

Like all the above it takes slow, consistent effort over TIME.

Have fun and take it easy at furst. Your growth will come naturally. No need to force or rush it. Like in bodybuilding, you will know when it's time to increase the weight.