How do I play higher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harveyhassanator, Apr 7, 2011.

1. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Here we go again....

Sorry to ask this but how do i play high? People have told me loads of different things and im sure that it works for those people but, I have yet to find something that works for me.

I can play a high E above stave which is my maximum without pressure but, anything past there is just air. Ive tried changing the position of my tongue but that doesnt help.

I don't want to do all that screaming trumpet playing but, it would be good to know how and be able to do it on occasions where high notes are required.

Any experience in these departments would be great :)
    thanks
    Harvey

2. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    I wish more people asked "how do I play better within the range I've got."

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    lip slurs, scales and practice, why not try a method book with a good teacher, like double high C in 10 minutes or something like that

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The range and power exercises I was given by my teacher a loooong time ago went something like this. Start on low C and slur to F. Go up a half-tone and play the fourth until your last slur is G-high C. Dynamics are F to FFF. The instructions were to make the top note of each slur louder,fatter, and fuller. Do the exercise ONLY once a day. At the conclusion, do lots of super low/pedal tones UNTIL the lips tingle. Once you are competent with that, he would move you to the 2nd Range and Power builder. This one started on middle C and slurred to C#, half step increments until you reached the top of your range and then push GENTLY a little further. The instructions were the same as the 1st exercise. And lastly, the 3rd exercise was like he first only you start an octave higher. Instructions were the same for all of them. Hope this helps.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Practice... Comfortably... Daily... and with time, it will come.

6. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    Well put.

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ever learn to whistle? Ever learn a second or third language? It's even more difficult as you get older; your mouth does things the way it's used to doing them and your brain is less malleable. I see that you're British. I spent a lot of time in France learning the language and watching others, Brits and Americans particularly, struggle with it. The mouth has to literally contort to avoid sounding like, well, British.

I find this totally analagous to playing in the upper register. There's a knack to it, look into something like Maggio or Gordon which may turn your head about how to blow your instrument.

ed

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You're assuming he doesn't play well within the range he has. He may play very well indeed and just needs help with his range (don't we all).

9. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    Check out this link and open the .pdf and print out the high range excersize. These are good for the developement of the upper register.

Free Trumpet Music :: Ultra-Pure Oils

Remember, the higher you go, the faster the air has to move. Don't think up, think out and push the air and think eee. There are many mechanics when playing the horn and if just one is missed then the chances of the note coming out are greatly decreased. Don't be hard on yourself if you don't pick it up right away. It will happen. Good luck.

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    It has been my short experience that the quest for greater range is more dangerous than that of the perfect mouthpiece. At least with the mouthpiece quest all you lose is money and time while your chops adjust. The quest for higher range can actually hurt you. Everytime I have actully tried to work on range, my playing has suffered the next day and I really regret it. I would just continue to practice as you have been doing, creeping up a little at a time.

All that being said, I am a big believer in long tones for developing strength, endurance, and the ability to focus your air properly. Trust me, high E above the stave is nothing to sneeze at. You are doing OK.

BrotherBACH