How do i play the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by longmvu, Sep 18, 2011.

1. longmvu

longmvu New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    When i try to play the trumpet i cant make the right sound it sounds like some blowing noice

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Put your lips together and blow is the first rule. If you are getting nothing but noise, it might be mechanical--a valve out of position, or possibly a loose or missing cork.

The internet is not a substitute for a good teacher.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The second rule is to then try to use a mouthpiece; and oh, by the way the mouthpiece goes into the horn (the end with the smaller tube - not that large flaired end) before you start playing. It is at this point where you then actually get a teacher.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    THEN rules 3 through 3,452 are how to select that perfect mouthpiece.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Casting my mind back to the 70's I remember being vaguely surprised that the sound from a trumpet isn't made by simply blowing air into the horn - like, say, a tin whistle. If this is what you think then that might explain the lack of "trumpet sound" you are getting. At the very least I would be asking somebody who can blow a trumpet to show you what they do -- perhaps in your local music shop. You will need lessons or similar I think, since trumpet playing isn't just something you can usually pick up on your own.

--bumblebee

larry tscharner likes this.
  6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Do you really think you can learn how to play the trumpet by asking how on in an internet forum?

There ARE some good videos produced by the military that are on youtube.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Find someone who play and ask them to show you how! Really!

8. TRUMPONIMUS

TRUMPONIMUS New Friend

Aug 5, 2005
    I hope this is bogus question, it must be because anybody who wants to know how, would ask someone who plays to show them. It's not like learning to throw a ball. There are lots of other things involved not just blowing air in a tube.
    But just in case you are serious, I'll try and tell you how to get a sound.
    Without even holding the trumpet, put your lips together and put your tongue behind your front upper teeth....
    Now take a breath and start blowing air keeping your lips together and starting the air with your tongue as if you are going to say the word Tu. This will cause your lips to viberate and and buzz. Now do it over , and over until you can make the lips buzz for at least 15 or 20 seconds.
    Now put the mouthpiece alone up to you lips, and try doing the same thing.
    Once you have accomplished this put the mouthpiece in the trumpet and do the same thing .... you should be able to get a sound.
    Once you can get asound on the horn ... Go Get A Teacher!!!

Jimmy.

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I remember my first try with no instruction at all and it was frustrating till my mom accidentally gave the dumb thing the raspberry and got a sound. Its been all downhill from there. Couldnt hav said it better Bee.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ut oh a mouthpiece comment