How do I play with a shoulder surgery recovery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mage1345, Feb 11, 2008.

1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

Should you be playing without a health clearance from your doctor?

Has the music director been given that health clearance from your doctor?

Are you further damaging your shoulder?

I don't believe your musical director should be making medical decisions for you, but he may not have been given health information from your doctor.

Seems you made need to discuss the matter with your doctor and then with the musical director.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Please do check with your doctor to make sure before you do anything to harm your recovery! If he clears you to play, though, try out the Shulman System from Tatakata's link. I have used it to help take the weight off my wrist from tendonitis problems, and I also used it after my recent surgery to my right hand as a way to hold my horn enough to do long tones until I healed enough to play properly. I don't know that the system actually does what it's intended to, but it has been well worth it as a recovery tool for me! I am happily on the road to recovery myself now, without any real loss of chops, and I hope the same will be true for you soon, as well! Just listen to your doctor and don't push yourself beyond your limits while you heal - it may be frustrating to wait, but you will extend your trumpet - playing happiness by a lot of years by being smart now. I wish you a speedy recovery!

3. Mage1345

Mage1345 New Friend

Nov 7, 2007
    Jude, I am a music ed major in university and my grades are based on my participation. It is expected right now that I contribute the best I can and that I play as much as possible. My doctor understands this and has asked me to play only if necessary otherwise, I am biding my time.

Thank you for the suggestions and I will try them.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You could also attach the horn to a broomstick to support it when you are seated.

In school, one of my fellow students in a similar situation, strapped a cut down broomstick to the valves. It was cut to length so it could rest on the chair between his legs. At first it slipped around a bit so he put a rubber bicycle grip on the end.
    It helped him learn to sit up straight and not move around so much when playing. I think he used velcro or something similar (it was in the 70s, I don't remember the details) to fasten it to the horn.