How do i prepare for my first lesson?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tiny2000, Feb 8, 2009.

1. tiny2000

tiny2000 New Friend

Dec 26, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    I've arranged for my first private trumpet lesson next week.

So far, I've got my trumpet (well, cornet actually), bought a straight mute (Dennis Wick), found an old music stand lying around my parents-in-law house, and bought a Arban's book.

I've been able to learn most fingering, and play from A below staff up to F or G. I am trying to play-along with some CDs i have, but boy, Wynton Marsalis and Miles Davis like to play FAST!!!!! Also, Carnival of Venice is pretty impossible for me...

Is there anything I should do in particular to prepare for my lesson? Any advice, thanks!

2. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Take a pad of paper an a pencil to take notes. You may even want to bring a tape recorder (if you instructor will allow it).

The Arbans is good, although he may prefer to teach out of of other books.

Other than that, just show up with an open mind and ready to learn!

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Go to the lesson with your Arban's etc. Be open with your teacher and accepting as to what he tells you. Do exactly as he says including practice. You should walk away with an understanding as to what you need to be doing in order to get better.

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Breath your teeth before the lesson. No I am not jokeing either!!! First hemight want to check your mouth out two it will extend the life of your leadpipe and main tuneing slide!

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    remember to keep an open mind and everything should go well! Let us know how it was!!

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    What I ask of a student-
    Play anything you want for me.........you don't have to play anything muted:D
    A teacher needs to know where to start with a new student. This is true at all levels of development.
    Be relaxed. Tell me where you think you are on the horn.
    Be prepared for change!
    Wilmer

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think you should share your expectations with this teacher. If you want to play like Maynard or Wynton, then tell him that. If you just want to get to a point where you can read and play music for fun, tell him that as well...

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Here´s what you should NOT do:

Do NOT pretend that you have understood
    what your teacher has told you if you haven´t!

I have tried this myself at occasion, and it doesn´t
    work well AT ALL!

Keep asking until you´ve understood the message.
    He or she is PAID to explain . . .:cool:

9. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    This is a very good point. I had an instructor in college who would get frustrated if I did not understand or catch on immediately. So I would fake it and always say "yes" even if I didn't get it. Effectively I was screwing myself and got very little out of those lessons. What I should have done was found another teacher who had the patience that a teacher should have!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A good nights sleep
    Drink enough during the day to be hydrated
    Do not beat yourself up the day before
    Play some soft long tones before going there
    Turn up your ears and turn down the mouth
    Make sure your horn is CLEAN, I always check during the first lesson
    Leave on time so that you are ON TIME
    Dress comfortably, it's no fashion contest and I have some students lay down on a mat to experience breathing and body use
    Tell the teacher what you think you learned. Feedback is the key to better communication!