How do I record trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Marcel1998, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Marcel1998

Marcel1998 New Friend

Mar 21, 2012
    Houston
    This is a question that I've had ever since I tried to improve my tone. (Which has defiantly gotten better since seventh grade)
    How do I record my self and still have the same sound? When I play on say a mic or a webcam it comes out very nasty, which I know isn't my sound. I really want to know how to do this, so I could perhaps show you guys how I sound now! :D

Appreciate the responses in advance! You guys are awesome and VERY helpful. c:

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It actually could be your sound. Iphones work fairly well. You can get a Shure SM57 for fairly cheap .

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It's easy to overpower webcam mics. Don't play right at the webcam mic. Experiment with different locations for the mic to see what works best.

Mike

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    It was a little pricey, but I use one of those handheld digital recorders now which I find really good. Mine is a Zoom H4N but a colleague of mine has something from Olympus which is pretty good as well. When I asked before for recommendations on TM the Tascam brand was suggested too. I keep the gain turned down to about 35% to avoid distortion/clipping.

I am not sure if you meant "definitely" in your original post but I like the idea of being "defiantly better".

--bumblebee

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  5. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Get a zoom recorder. They are aces for realistic sound and the mics are unbeatable.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Depending on what you are using to record yourself
    Web Cam... as was stated... aim away form the mic and also adjust the gain
    Microphone ... I adjust my gain but like to put the microphone to the side of the bell.. you get a full frequency responce with minimal distortion. If you put the mic in front of you and back off they tend to get tinny unless you have an expensive one.

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    With a lot of webcams there's a setting to turn down the gain. I use an apogee one mic interface and garage band - my husband has one of the Tascam recorders and friends of mine have the zoom. The Tascam has a lot of features for the price, and both are easy to carry.

8. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    I use a Blue Snowball. Works great. Best $100 I ever spent!

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    also if you are recording in a dry room sometimes a touch of reverb can help it blend .... some people go nuts with the delay and effects... which is fun for an effect but you lose your true sound