how do i relax?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Lately I've been having trouble relaxing when I play, my neck usually bulges and I sound really tense in my middle register. I've recorded myself, and I sound tense up to about an F on the staff, then it's like G on top of the staff and above is magic and I sound really good. I actually sounded more relaxed on a high C then I do an F, an F is a really bad note for me. Sometimes I close my eyes and open my throat enough to try to fit an egg in my mouth, but my neck still bulges. How do I relax?

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Learn to control your air. You might want to check out Rowuk's info on this. You might find it quite useful.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Try not too play high for a while (good luck with that 8))
    When practicing, instead of playing notes at whatever volume is easiest, try working your way up with scales at a piano or mezzo-piano. If your tension is a problem, you won't be able to hit those notes with a good sound in the upper register
    The most important thing is to sound nice! Always play with a good/relaxed sound, and you won't be able to play with excess tension

4. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm afraid not playing high is not an option for me because I have marching band 4-5 days a week, I have not been very consistent since marching band started, and it's really starting to bother me. How do I decrease the amount of pressure? I do lip slurs one handed in class and do ok, but I'm still not as consistent as some of the other people, I feel like marching band has damaged my lips, but I won't know for sure until the season ends and I get a week or so off of it.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    quick question how long have you been marching?

6. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm a senior this year, but it's my third year marching. My sopomore year I wasn't that good, last year near the beginning of the season I had an embochure, and the following school year I was really good and consistent, but since then I've been getting less and less consistent. This year I made lead and can only play my part well maybe half the time.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Is your marching steady? I found last year (im only a sophomore) that when I wasn't rolling my feet and keeping my upper body still i had to push a lot more, and my throat buldged like you said. Now that i've gotten good at marching, and my body doesn't swing at all, I can concentrate more on playing with full quality....just my .02 cents. do you have the problem when arcing or standing still?

8. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Yes, my neck still bulges when I stand still and play.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Is it just this year? If it is your pushing it too much, relax, during rehearsals play quietly, I don't know if you can afford to do this on lead, i normally can't but do so anyway, and see if it helps, but otherwise I'd talk to your director and see if they know anyway to help, I've never seen you play so can't do much more help wise....

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Find a teacher who understands the physical aspects of playing the trumpet.