how do i relax?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Some possible reasons this is happening and some possible solutions:

Possible causes:

- not breathing properly when playing
    - fatigued (chops)
    - fatigued (generally)
    - insecure about the music or something in your marching routine (this can cause distraction, lack of proper breathing and technique)

Possible solutions:

- think about the things above and try to understand WHY this is happening
    - concentrate on this tension during your practice and try to alleviate it
    - review and practice with concentration on breathing
    - make sure you're confident about the stuff you're playiing (you've memorized the music, you know the show, you've practice the music and are confident with it)

Hope this helps,

bigtiny

2. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been told my breathing is weird, like I hold my breath sort of when I play. I don't know how to fix it.

3. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    A friend of mine told me I should release air, not force it. I think I might be forcing air out, which would explain why my neck bulges. I just don't how what to visualize when I play loud or high or both, I just let the air go and I guess I am forcing it, and I need help.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bill Chase had that problem too!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    low impact practice. Just inhale then exhale into the horn. Do not focus on LOWERING YOUR TENSION. The more you concentrate, the worse it gets.
    Do nice things for yourself.
    prepare for going to school or work 15 minutes earlier. That extra time will let you passively prevent tension.
    No television or computer after 9:30 at night. Less images in your head will let you sleep better.
    Hot chocolate instead of coffee.
    Basic sports 3 days a week (for at least 40 minutes. Bike riding or swimming, jogging, etc.)
    A relaxed practice session where you take your time breathing.

6. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Does 3 hours of marching band rehearsal count as a basic sport? Cause when you're out of breath it really does require a lot of control, and usually I can still play when I'm out of breath. My director tells me sometimes I sound bright, I think there's a connection, he says I don't use warm air, and it all lines up from my knowledge I just don't know what to picture when I am trying to fix it.

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Here's a trick I like: before a practice session or band rehearsal/event, get a cardboard toilet roll (without the paper!) and blow into it picturing a column of air going slowly through it, like a canoe down a river and imagining your throat being as open as the cardboard roll. Do this right before playing and try to replicate the feeling: a column of air impeded only by the lips and the mouthpiece. Warm air, cold air? don't think about that...toooooo much to think about between reading music, marching, keeping time, just a big throat of air. I cannot tell you how much this has helped me, and I've seen students make huge strides as they get away from the side effects of grunting like they're on the toilet. Keep the tongue relaxed, forward and your throat will open up. Soon you'll stop thinking about that as well and it become a more natural way for you to play.

Watch a video of Wayne Bergeron or Bill Chase. They have throats which expand but they don't work hard up high at all, perhaps a little red faced from the additional resistance of the mpc/horn up there, but no other physical manisfestations.

Take it easy, and I mean EASY,

Ed