How do I strip the finish from my Olds Recording?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by claymor, May 23, 2008.

1. claymor

claymor New Friend

May 17, 2008
    I just picked up a 55 Olds Recording that has most of the finish gone already. The bell has a beautiful dull patina that I love. I don't want to have it re-plated, I just want the whole horn to look the same. There are a few places on the silver and brass areas that have spots of shiny plating on it and I want all of it to have the same look.
    What is the safest way to do this myself?

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    There are many prior threads here and on trumpetherald about stripping. Everyone has their own method. On the 3 horns I have worked on I used applications of oven clean in a well venilated area, then got the remainder off with Copper glo cleanser, then polished with Wrights Brass polish, as that is the look I like . Maybe you should search for similar threads. There are many options.

3. claymor

claymor New Friend

May 17, 2008
    Thanks. I'll look for the other threads. I'd heard the oven cheaner thing before. I guess it doesn't matter what kind?

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Give it a good polish, Brite Boy works good as a cleaner polish (Smart and Final) then see what you have left to deal with, no harm, no foul

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  5. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    there are many prior threads on TM as well.

You can get spray stripper at Lowes and spray it on. wait about 15 min and then wash it off with water.... just do it outside ;-). You may need to do it a few time to get it all. It's like $6 a can. You can also put it in the tub and pour boiling water over it and let the heat pull the lacquer off.... but keep in mind the heat may put unwanted stress on the horn.

Last edited: May 23, 2008