How do pro's deal with illness?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by someguy6, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Just divide your part up among the Minnesota TM members! I'm sure you have any shortage of volunteers! The stagehands might have a little trouble...

Jason.

2. Chris Houser

Chris Houser New Friend

Jan 11, 2006
    Mpls
    I would tend to agree with the others here, if you can play - you play, and play your best. In all the years that I have been jobbing I have only had to miss one gig (knock on wood). That happened as the result of a death in the family and I had to catch the red eye out to town to make the funeral. The fist thing I did was to get in touch with the best possible sub I could think of to take my place. The contractor of the gig understood my situation, and was very, very happy to find out that I had taken the time and effort to get him a sub of equal or better quality at the last minute. It left a very good impression with him for future jogs.
    I would always do everything possible to play the show.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I think I read somewhere that Vacchiano never missed a day of work during his 38 (?) years with the New York Philharmonic.

4. CJH

CJH Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston, MA
    As far as staying healthy goes, remember what Mom always said: wash your hands before you eat! Especially if it's finger food. I only started making a real habit of this a couple of years ago, and, lo and behold, I haven't caught anything more than a mild cold since.

Common courtesy but oft-forgotten: when you do show up to the gig feeling under the weather, do you best not to get the rest of the band sick. It's ok to politely decline a handshake because you don't want to get the other guy sick... It will be appreciated.