How do you clean a satin finish trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Aug 12, 2011.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    I've had my trumpet for a little while now and it has a satin finish and I clean its valves and leadpipe and slides and all that, but I've never really cleaned the actual body of the trumpet. And lately I've been noticing like, some rusting or something on my 2nd valve tuning slide and in some other places.

How do I clean this so I can prevent this from happening to my whole trumpet?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have had two satin gold trumpets, my Lawler C7 and my Eclipse MS.

In both cases the builders, Roy Lawler and Leigh McKinney both said to use a non ammonia glass cleaner on the finish and wipe with a clean cloth, like a micro fibre.

I have found it also works for satin silver.

3. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    What brand of the cleaner did you use?

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It doesn't sound like the finish has a clear lacquer over it ... once you get it clean put some car wax on it to help keep the rust at bay. MAAS metal cleaner is prety good but it might shine up the horn too much.. never had a satin finish to work on.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have a 1955 Boosey and Hawkes Regent in satin finish - purchased new. I have always treated it as I do my other silverplated trumpets - blue silver polishing cloth - look at the B&H in my albums, I don't think it has suffered over the years. :dontknow:

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Give us a little more info. Satin... what? Silver, gold, brass? If brass, is it lacquered?