How do you clean your mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    I was wondering what technique do you use to clean your mouthpiece, and on a scale of 1 to 10, how important is it?

I think that on a scale of 1 to 10 it is definatly a 10, and I clean my mouthpiece after every use with Roche Thomas Sanimist mouthpiece disinfectant. Once a week I take a mouthpiece brush and clean it thouroughly with hot soapy water.

I cant say how important I think cleaning your mouthpiece is because in 2000 I tried a horn that didnt have a disinfected mouthpiece and I caught a bad strain of influenza which turned into a viral pneumonia. After surviving that...NEVER again will I share a mouthpiece or not disinfect it.

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ah strap that suckah to the roof of mah Powerwagon and run 'er through the carwash. You ain't never seen such a clean 'piece.

Truth to tell... I agree with not sharing mouthpieces. I want to see it washed with hot water and soap or else I'll use my own, thankee.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Use a mouthpiece brush, Rick. It looks like a tiny, skinny Christmas tree that you ream the gunk out of your mouthpiece. It's pretty critical for me as Dave's equipment are very finnicky about staying clean. If you don't clean them regularly they complain by missing notes for you. Of course, it would bever be MY fault.

The mouthpiece brush also does a nice job of cleaning the holes in your valves.

ML

4. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Manny :-)

I dont think you read my post thouroughly my friend. I do use a mouthpiece brush. Mine is like a little orange Christmas Tree :lol:

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    How about "mouthpiece soup" to sterilize? I immerse my piece in, yes, bpiling water for a few minutes, then cool it gradually. (Only once in a while.) Too extreme?

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Mouthpiece soup

What possible damage can hot water do to a chunk of silver plated brass?

OLDLOU>>

7. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    I clean my mouthpiece once every fifteen minutes or so (when playing/practicing) using my t-shirt or a bar towel. I use a mouthpiece brush (like Manny's) every week or so. I don't bother using disinfectant of any kind, I'm pretty robust when it comes to illness. :D

8. Rondawg

Rondawg New Friend

Oct 10, 2005
    Hot wanter, dawn, and a mouthpiece brush work wonderfully once a week for me.

I know some kids that have never cleaned there mouthpiece since they've had it. I dont see how they do it. If the big green gunk dosnen't get me the smell does.

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, I knew a hot wanter named Dawn, too.

ML

10. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    Good one Manny-I clean mine with dish soap and a brush and keep a small spray bottle with Scope in it to spray on it if someone wants to try it. old geezer Dave