How do you "consider" a horn you've never played?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amzi, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    This is great truth, I hope not only for the lucky ones.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I suppose I'm more "hack" than sophisticated discriminating discerner of fine trumpets, but I have had success with untried ebay purchases. My approach is to focus on good specimens of good reputation and then spend time with the instrument to effectively match-up mouthpieces. My Super Artist didn't play all that well for me until I matched it up with a vintage Blessing 13. Now, when I play it, I really hate to see trumpet time end. My Getzen Eterna Severinsen has a slightly larger receiver than, say, my Strad. It was a disappointment until I stuck a Jet-Tone Severinsen by Getzen vintage mouthpiece in it, then it just seemed to soar. Among my Bb trumpets, the Strad seems least sensitive to mouthpieces. It seems to play pretty well with nearly anything I stick in it, but even then it seems to play best with its particular Bach 3C. My point is that it may take time for some trumpeters to determine if a horn is right for them. If I had walked into a music store with a favorite mouthpiece in my pocket and then tried any of my Bb's with the objective of making a purchasing decision in twenty minutes or so, I may have passed on all of them, which really would have been too bad.
    Jim

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    He is actually older than me... born in 1955 in Allentown PA. if that is possible.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The only horn I bought w/o playing was returned. It was an e-Bay purchase and the horn just wasn't good. It had a "great" reputation but didn't live up to it. If it is interesting to me I'll get it (Olds Pinto with Turbotron valves ROFL) but since I mainly shop C'list, I get to play them.

5. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I couldn't agree more. The more I try to find horns I can rehab (trying to get horns in hands of students cheaper than renting), the more I have been playing different horns with different mouthpieces and the results are quite dramatic. I have been quite blessed with my eBay purchases and even the pawn shop/yard sale finds in that some of them have not been playable when I got them so I couldn't test but after working on them all but one have turned out quite satisfactory. I do concentrate on horns pre-1965 made in USA when I can. I know the OP was talking primarily about pro level horns but I feel this is equally important for student level horns because if it isn't fun to learn on the student will get discouraged.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Hmmm. You know what, I've never played a horn before buying it. The only ones I've been "disappointed" in were the Model 215 Custom Built and Model 217 Lightweight 400 because these are beastly open horns that takes a better man than I am to play.

But the rest of them? Bought them on ebay and kept most. Then again, we're talking various Buescher models, they play somewhat differently from one to the next but not enough that you can't tell the family resemblance.

I'm pretty much a hack anyways, so that's ok. :-)

I've been playing my Holton 48 Deluxe recently with a (modern) Heim 1 mouthpiece. If I wasn't so hung up on Buescher I could play that combo full time and be very happy with it. Also an ebay horn... and I restored it without really playing it because its valves were completely shot.

So either I'm incredibly lucky or some people are incredibly picky....

Tom

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    How does that work?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Braille

9. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Maybe i'm just too Naive ,been reading to much stuff on TM and such ? that i think i haven't found my play-mate ? Now guy's and girls don't get all excited I'm referring to a horn :D

Started on a Conn way back when,yes a Director ,the only thing it wouldn't do was make me a better player :roll: but having more experience now ,both practice and in terms of music i have played , I keep thinking there might be a better fit for me ? The bad thing is i don't know what i would try to find even if i had a clear idea of what i would like to change.

If I'm honest i think I'm not nearly experienced enough to judge a horn anyway,so I'm now thinking i just need to play and forget about finding the (perfect ) trumpet.

Keep putting your thoughts on the forum everyone ,never hurts to get another angle on things:grouphug:

Dean_0

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Karma;-)