How do you deal with chapped lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Oct 28, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    Just wondering how other trumpet players deal with this.

as for me I try to use lip balm since when my lips are chapped my high notes sound screechy and my flexibility goes out the window.

my friend carl actually plays better with chapped lips (no idea how)
    so he doesnt care to deal with it

how about the rest of you?

do you get worse/better are certain things?

how do you deal with it?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Chop saver when I'm not playing and Burts Bee's when I am. Some people play with dry lips, I can, but it mostly depends on the rim of the mouthpiece I am using.

Recently, gmonady showed me Vitamin E, and that works magic.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I cover my lips with Blistex cream ... even on the white area around my lips. I also play as little as possible.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    My lips have hardly chapped since I started using Vaesline, with aloe vera as soon as the weather gets a bit colder. Course I look like I've got lip gloss on but I can live with that.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    As I recently posted in another thread (about drying up) - I now use a "lip treatment" made of soft paraffin, propylene glycol and wool fat. "Oralife" brand from Orion Laboratories which seems to be an Aussie product. Before that I used to use a Nivea lip balm stick before I went out into the wind/on the bike etc.

--bumblebee

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Paraffin is the carrier, propylene glycol a presrvative, and wool fat aka lanolin the effective ingredient. And some are allergic to lanolin ... but not me. Aloe Vera is an effective healant for minor burns, small cuts and abrasions. Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) overuse tends to make the lips have a wettish feel. Personally, I use 100% pure liquid lanolin when I need it. Too, I use lanolin mixed with a small amount of valve oil on my tuning slide and 2nd valve slide.

At my age, with all my other ailments, ask my wife ... she tells me my lips are still kissable.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Ed,

wikipedia states
    "Lanolin is also frequently, but incorrectly, referred to as wool fat (adeps lanae) by many of the world’s pharmacopoeias even though it has been known for more than 150 years that lanolin is devoid of glycerides and is in fact a wax, not a fat."
    Lanolin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have heard of people being sensitive to lanolin but not to "wool fat" and this seems to bear that out, if correct.

Kind regards,
    --bumblebee

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know, but yes 100% pure lanolin is devoid of glycerides or anything else or they wouldn't be allowed to advertise it as such here in the U.S. As a youth I shepherded and helped shear my paternal grandfather's Merino sheep and now at my age my hands are softer than most women's and my lips ... well, the authority on mine is my wife. Only once did I sustain a cracked lip and they bled profusely all over a borrowed white dinner jacket when I was subbing for a wedding. That was long before I was married to my present wife and before I had developed good "chops".

The lanolin I have now is in liquid form. The label further reads, "Lanolin is a natural lubricant extract that is derived entirely from wool." U.S. law would not allow them to state such if it were not true. Further the label reads "Guaranteed 100% pure. No solvents, fillers, excipients, preservatives, chemical additives or artificial colors used in this product. 100% natural." It is manufactured by NOW Foods, Bloomingdale IL 60108, U.S.A. Http://www.nowfoods.com

I just like their product, but have no other relationship, financial or otherwise, with the company.

IMO Wikipedia is not always to be relied upon and they themselves state such disclaimer.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Chop Saver and I don't get chapped lips.