How do you deal with chapped lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Oct 28, 2012.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I just don't feel any difference and thus don't have any problems when they're chapped, my girlfriend has a harder time with it than me and my horn, though if I have to play longish, they start to hurt, like not overplay hurt, but the typical very dry lip ache. If I'm having problems with it or want to get rid of it, I just put vaseline on my lips overnight, quite a decent amount and wash it off thoroughly in the morning, because I can't play anything with lubricants or shaving foam (this is really annoying) on my lips.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's is a good product for some, as is Burt's Bees (as does contain lanolin). So too, would have a dozen, plus or minus prevent chapped lips ... but is it chapped lips we'll get as a consequence of playing or is it our environment and lack of hydration.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I am NOT an MD, but were you I, I'd mix a bit of Vitamin E in some aloe vera gel and apply at night, just tissue wiping any residue in the morning. Cutting a Vitamin E capsule provides enough to mix equally with the aloe vera gel. If you don't have the AV gel, the sap of a AV plant will do as well.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I lick my lips frequently as the Great Creator intended it. Lip Balm is not the primary method. It is secondary. It will hold moisture in place, but you must get moisture there to begin with. This is the reason why we are to peroidically lick our lips frequently. I rarely use lip balm (only when the wind is strong) and I never dry out. I lick to keep me playing the licks.

5. jessman

jessman Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Also there are no bad notes, just bad choices.

6. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

Great and helpful info, thanks.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    My balm has lanolin (a small amount really changes the lip feel)...

8. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Some kind of link??? Is this an actual product or some kind of metaphor/joke? If it's real I'd love to know more about it!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Be careful of product not designed for human consumption/use. Local laws do not protect you when using products for other than their intended use. There may not even be a requirement to list all of the ingredients. In this case, there may not even be a requirement for low toxicity as the intended use is hoof, tail or mane, none of which are close to the horses mouth.

Just be VERY careful and observant when using things for considerably different usecases as originally intended.