How do you empty your mind when......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    For the last few months, now and then when I've been working on double-tonguing, it'll flip into overdrive for a couple of beats and then fizzle out, moreorless the instant I start wondering what I'm doing that's getting it to work.

Today was the first day I felt I'd started to get some sort of control over it. One key seems to be to relax pretty well totally and let my mind drift to absolutely anything except what I'm trying to do. It seems to help to turn on an action movie and half-concentrate on that while I'm practising.

Anybody else got any tips for giving the subconscious chance to get on with its work?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Seth, happy new year, I dont have any suggestions as to how to disconnect the conscious from the unconscious mind, I shall ask my psychiatrist friend next week. My own experience is that the faster I try the sooner I trip up also. Start slowly and gradually build up speed, a metronome has helped me keep it even.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My tongue is still trying to catch up, double and triple is still a huge challenge for me to get working again:roll::dontknow::oops:

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  5. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Very good, Mr. Brother it is so true, we are and can be our own worst enemy. Thanks for the Inner Game!!!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A fascinating read is The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, by Julian Jaynes. Heady stuff indeed!

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Mind already empty.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The mind has a mind of its own. For me, a key aspect was not to start anything by inhaling, rather by exhaling to a relatively empty state first. Thoughts are purged with the expellation of air.

As part of the circle of breath/daily routine I have my students exhale a scale first, then tukutukutuuuuuuuuh per note in 2/4 time up and tukutuku down with one note per beat. Breaking the skill set down into pieces has reliably worked now for the last 30 years of teaching or so.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Ah yes! I should have expected this, shouldn't I. :-)

These ideas surfaced a little after my formative years, so they weren't much of a feature on the Seth curriculum. Yet I'm acutely aware that I made far more progress at age 9 when I hadn't much of a clue what I was doing than later when everything became 100% performance oriented.

So I pretty much buy into the idea. But I've still not seen much guidance on the how. How do you actually tell Self 1 to stop whining about clarity and intonation and b#####r off bird-watching for the afternoon while Self 2 gets on with the job?

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    So pretty much in line with the basic Arban exercises? (page 175 on in my copy)