How do you empty your mind when......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The thread went off-track at post #20 when you took the opportunity to butt in across one of Robin's posts and publicise some gig of yours under the flimsiest of pretexts. A couple of others (jiarby, VB) tried bringing it back on-track but you just continued to post across them ignoring everything except your own agenda. Please don't try to pretend otherwise.

Now call me parochial, but to be honest, I've not got much interest in Gilly's. And if I'm not to be permitted to pursue my original thread maybe we can start discussing this statement I came across on Wikipedia:

BTW At least by my own standards, we're still in 'polite request' mode here but you do seem extraordinarily insensitive to such niceties....

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Post 20 stated: Listening and hearing others empties my mind.

This is a serious suggestion and I believe the most important component to emptying the mind. When you listen to others you HEAR things you would not otherwise hear as your own issues get in the way of progressing. I respect the fact you do not agree, but others here do and have stated so.

I suggested the Gilly's opportunity only because we do have TM members in the area and we like to conntect and learn from the exprience. Man how I would love other TM members that tour in the area to "promote" or better yet "enlighten" me of this "opportunity" when they are in the area to teach me as I am always in the learning mode. I absolutely would like nothing better than to actually hear Rowuk (Robin), Vulgano (Jerry) or Solar Bell (Chuck) to learn from the accomplished professionals that are real (people). I believe I can offer the same.

Common Seth, you are better than this. Let your anger go and listen to and try to hear what I have to say.

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    :zzz::zzz:

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Seth,
    for me at least, the best time to practice double tongueing has proved to be without a trumpet while driving my car long-distance. It's a non-trumpet setting, so your mind does not mess around with trumpet-related issues; you're nicely occupied, but not with the horrors of say traversing a busy city.
    My first ever trumpet teacher gave me a speaking exercise for double tongueing, and I am using that while driving:
    Very softly, I am just saying dee-gu-dug-gu-doo-gu-dug-gu and repeat ad infinitum. Take care to keep the pronounciation well forward, just behind your front teeth, and start off slowly, perhaps keeping in time with the engine throb or whatever rhythm is handy. Then slowly speed up. You can keep that up for hours, and your double tongueing will improve in no time.
    It's my constant mantra when driving between my family home in Vienna and my mother's place near Munich (450 kilometres one way).

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Barliman, I do believe you are really on to something here. Your solution is one I used for years as the dee-gu-dug-gu is much less fatiguing on the tongue and helps to develop the muscle memory that cordinates the process, again, less about thinking of how do do it, more like learning to the point where it no longer requires mental control.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Driving on the Autobahn does tend to take one's concentration away from trumpet related issues.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I can see this being a good exercise when your tonguing and general playing technique are already in a good place, Elmar. But the question I'd put to you is how would you know the correct place to articulate your du-gu-da-gas if you weren't already proficient?

Having had to pretty well rebuild from scratch, it seems that the main challenges are a bunch that include: getting embouchure resistance in the right area and consistent with the sustained note; holding pitch, volume and tone steady and consistent with the sustained note; keeping the 'ku' strong enough that it doesn't lag behind or airball; maintaining a steady airflow etc etc. There must be dozens and dozens of interrelated muscle movements that have to be synchronised into a single unified process. So it seems that early in the learning process, you're faced with having to do all of it, all at once.

And of course, at first it's complete rubbish. But after a while, you find a note that seems a little easier than the others, so you work on that for a while (low Eb was mine). And then maybe you find a little three note hypnotic mantra that you can plug away at for days on end. And gradually you find that you can push the boundaries out to a fifth, then an octave and so on.

This is what I found worked for me at least. The Arban exercises etc. assume from exercise 1 that if you can double-tongue low F you can also double-tongue top of stave F. I had all sorts of trouble with that. Not that I couldn't play that F. I just couldn't play lots of that F quickly (or even slowly come to think of it) without the system falling to pieces. Much better to find a comfort zone somewhere and slowly build from that.

But the real key seems to be staying totally relaxed throughout. The moment you start tensing up anywhere, you may as well put the instrument back in the box and go off and do something else. Force is futile.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Actually, when I got that exercise from my teacher I could not do any double-tongueing at all. It was a very basic exercise to get me into the rhythm of it. And there are no real caveats for the exercise - just remin yourself that the location of pronunciation needs to stay in the same place at all times, and you're on your road.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Quote Originally Posted by gmonady View Post

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

Quote Originally Posted by kingtrumpet View Post

me me me me GM me me me me me me me me me
    Easy to miss (thanks to you) but VB just made a valuable posting there.

Have either of you anything constructive and relevant to add to it?

No, of course not. You'd rather just treat it with total contempt and swamp it beneath more mindless off-topic garbage wouldn't you?

You want to be cut some slack? I'll do you a deal. Stop posting on any thread I start and you can have as much slack as you want. It's a generous new year sales offer. Go for it.

Now where were we....
    let's see -- you quoted KT incorrectly ---- and thusly accused him of destroying your thread --- while KT, did NOTHING to subvert your thread, and had only 2 posts, one of which freely admitted he had NO CONCLUSIONS that were relevant to your thread, and would not engage in your thread ---- which, by and large, he has NOT engaged in your thread
    so SETHOFLAGOS -- your, either an idiot, or you should try to be a little more congenial when you EMPTY YOUR MIND
    have a great day, looks like you need to have one

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Drive on the rumble strip and the whole car goes Dugudugudugudugu at speed. However I do agree find that I double tongue a lot of the time when I am on the road or relaxing without the trumpet