How do you get out of a slump?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Jul 29, 2009.

1. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Hi everyone,

So, recently I've been playing a lot (2+ hours a day) and for the past month I've been pretty good with range, tone, intonation, ect. But the past few days I've been in a horrible slump. So I was just curious, what do some of you do to get out of your slumps that come from to time? I'm assuming that it's natural.

Thanks in advance:-)

2. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    Train, don't strain. Even as a dedicated runner I'd take one day a week off. As a trumpet player I notice a business engagement that has me away for a few days can be very restorative. (I'm fatigued when I start to bottom out in the mp.)

In all endeavors we need time to restore- it might give you a fresher approach to things too! -Ed

3. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    I usually have a lesson. I find that slumps generally coincide with a perceived lack of direction. My teacher usually knocks me back into shape.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Slumps are dealt with by getting a life. Do something nice for yourself. Treat yourself and someone special to a nice dinner, a walk on the beach, a non-brass concert. You get the idea.

Sometimes a completely unexpected nice time can change your view. Then the slump is not a slump, it is an opportunity!

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi trumpetMonk,
    While its not easy to find great trumpet players in west virginia, they do exist. I would suggest hunting them out and if possible set in with them. That'll put the hungry back in your playing.

6. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Are you playing for 2 hours a day straight?

Don't play anymore than 1/2 hour at a time. This made my playing so much better than I could have imagined. Now, I never feel the agonizing pain that can come from too much playing. I used to play for like an hour and a half straight until I could barely play a G on top of the staff, then stop because I absolutely had to. It is nice to be done with a 30 minute session, and not feel bad at all. I put a timer on for 30 minutes, than when it beeps I stop and go do something else, usually listen to musical examples of what I'm playing, then after that 30 minute timer goes off, back to practicing. Give it a try!

7. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Thanks guys

I actually do take lessons with the local college trumpet teacher. I find that taking a lesson does help with the direction I'm focusing. And I rest for up to about five mins. when playing. I have a lot of fun playing with my horn but I like the advice. Keep it coming :)

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Focus on things you can't do. Try the second H.L.. Clarke study using false fingerings....1+3, 3, 2, 1+3. 3, 2, 0, 3......etc. Create you own studies. Find a flute player to play duets with......transpose!
    Get creative:-)
    Wilmer

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Take a break from playing. When I get in a slump I take some time off when possible. Do something to enjoy yourself away from the trumpet. I find that it recharges my battery.

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Be creative. Take two days off. Don't play at all for two days. Spend some time outdoors getting inspired. Meanwhile find somebody new to listen to. Find a new trumpet player and get into a different style. Get inspired!