How do you get the fingers and tongue in sync?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jcmacman, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jack,

Very simply, you should play the exercise as usual except use the normal fingerings, not the false ones. Just substitute the legato doubletongue for the usual slurring. Do so at quarter equalling 60.

"I presume you mean start doubling at the semis and tripling at the semi sextuplets ... right?"

Yes, that's right.

My other concern is to use the same vowel throughout. No Tah-kee-tah-kee.

Rather, Dah-ga-da-ga or Doh-go-do-go, etc.

ML

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Ok cheers Manny, I'll work on that.

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hmm I just tried this, and I definitely need to work on it! I found the triplets a little disorientating at first (da da ga ga da ga da ... oh crap!) but I managed to sort that out. Playing legato between the "da" and "ga" is certainly something I need to iron out.

Cheers,

Jack.

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Try singing the triplets. Yes, I said singing :D
    Now try it with the horn.

Wilmer

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jack,

Right you are!

It's a somewhat ignored technique that has several collateral benefits not the least of which is to create a more unified approach from the player towards sound production. Just know that I'll work on it this morning as well out of "trumpathy"!

We're playing Pines and Fountains this week. I'm going to post a little something about that when I get back this pm.

ML

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Interesting, Wilmer! I'll try that.

Thanks for the help guys.

7. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    Hi Manny, I am back and almost all dried out. Those storms really dumped alot of water over here in SoCal.

I am starting to make the legato double tonguing come around. I have also been double tonguing my scales very legato. The double tonguing is to the point that the da and ga are sounding the same. Should I be working on anything else or continue on?

Thanks for your help.
    John

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Excellent.

Now, go and do all that you have with scale type passages and go the arpeggio section of Arban's and continue your good work This will present new challenges. Principally it will be to maintain the sound from note to note in a very even way. Keep the back of your throat OPEN as you ascend and descend.

Good work.

ML

9. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    Thanks Manny.....':D'

john