How do you get to play so well?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Jan 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi All,

I know this question has probably been asked 500 times and in many different ways, but having watched this video of Mnozil Brass I just feel I've got a lot of stuff to work out yet, and I thought I was pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaVmf-6eOkg

So without further ado or apology, "what do I need to do to learn how to play as well as these guys?" I'm looking at Mr Gansch.

--bumblebee

Maybe I'm really asking because I just wanted to hear comments on the video? Wow - these guys are good.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You need to practice and practice and practice and....you get the idea.

Getting a good teacher who is going to streamline what you are working on and how you are working on it is probably a good idea too. I guess it depends on what you want to do. Even at my best I couldn't even come close to playing that well and I've never had issues finding paid work as a player.

What you are seeing there is a collection of highly talented and dedicated musicians who spent years and years working on their craft. If you want to be that good, you'll have to have the talent, and you'll have to work just as hard.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Patrick has given you all the information you need.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Heheh - not really - just the very highest level basics, but ultimately it boils down to working hard on the right stuff in the right way, and having the talent to put it all together - call it the "spice" that flavors the mix.

Those guys are just insanely good - of course they should be all being students at the Vienna College of Music.

Check out the huge phat sound they have in this clip. It's amazing how well they are matching sound and intonation playing that loud.

YouTube - extro door mnozil brass

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Yes, at a high level that is right and I agree. But getting a bit more detailed, I find it often difficult to "think fast enough" to play the fast complex sections with intent. Those I can play I usually get to through hours of twitch-training, then end up relying on muscle memory or similar to get me through those passages. I also find that unless I can "sing" the notes/phrase I really can't play it reliably from memory - I suppose depending on the twitching working again...

Another problem with training in this way is that I find it difficult to transpose to another key without re-training the fingers/breathing.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    focus on tone(your particular sound).

7. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Thanks Markie,

that's pretty much what I've been doing for about 30 years. But in the last few years I've been breaking away from the brass band/classical scene a bit and my jazz/R&B/soul/dance/fun band has brought challenges I haven't really had before.

I suppose Patrick's response is still essentially the correct one - and other threads here regularly recommend working seriously through books such as the Arban, or finding a good teacher.

--bumblebee

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Maintain a sense of humor throughout all the hard practice ..... These guys are amazing. And funny! What a highly entertaining group, would love to see them live.

Turtle

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bumblebee, it may be - and I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just keeping it real - that you don't have the inate ability to come up to that level no matter what you do.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been playing?

I'm a solid player. I'll even go so far as to say that I'm good. But I'm not great, and I don't think I ever can be because I just don't think that I've got the raw talent to do it. Hard work will take a person a long way though, and that is encouraging, but I've seen people who were so passionate about it and who really wanted it - folks who went so far as to take weekly lessons with great teachers and who really dug in and worked - who just couldn't seem to put it all together. By contrast, I've seen people who just seem to have it, don't seem to work too hard at it, and yet they just get it.

It's a touchy subject here on the forum because there are some people who believe anyone and everyone has that ability to become great as long as they dedicate themselves to it and work hard, but that's not something I believe. I believe that some people get it, some people don't, and some people never will.

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Trickg,
    I have pondered the same question myself. I find that the more I play and the more I practice, the more things I can do on my instrument. I don't know that I will ever get to the place I wish to be, and I started later than I should have. However, as my wife often tells me, "The Journey is the Destination". Rocky or Rudy wouldn't be nearly the inspiration they are if success was preordained. All I can do is all I can do. If I never make it, I'll chalk it up to running out of time.
    In the meantime, I'll...... play on