How do you get to play so well?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Jan 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    bumblebee sez:
    that's pretty much what I've been doing for about 30 years.
    ----
    Then that means when you play, you sound like no one else but you.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ed, that's a pretty healthy way to look at it.

Prior to this last year, I had felt this pressure to "succeed" or "make it" as a musician, and I was very concerned with the things I hadn't done, or the success that I hadn't managed to achieve. I woke up on the morning of my 40th birthday last August and just like that, everything changed. All of a sudden it was like I crossed a major psychological threshold and I stopped worrying about what I didn't do, and started to really appreciate what I did do, and what I had achieved - arguably a fair amount by some standards. It was a big weight lifted off of me, and at this point I see it like your wife does - the journey IS the destination. I can be proud of the things I have accomplished, continue to strive toward personal excellence, and keep my eyes on the horizon for whatever opportunities present themselves.

I'm not a virtuoso trumpet player and at this point it's not likely I ever will be, but in the grand scheme of things, that's just not that imporant to me anymore. That doesn't mean that I can't still play for the sheer passion I have for music and enjoy it the whole time I'm doing it, right? :-)

Edit: Bumblebee - sorry, I missed the part where you said you'd been playing for 30+ years. Just keep on keepin on and play for the love you have of making music. It's not about how good you are or how impressive your chops are, but rather how much of yourself you can put into what you play, no matter what it is you are playing.

3. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Know your limitations as well as your potential.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    a minimum of 10,000 hours of practice.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's like anything else in life. The more you do a thing correctly, the better you become. If you aren't satisfied, and you shouldn't be, with where you are,look at your routine. Getting a very competent teacher is a must, if you want to go higher. My two cents.:thumbsup:

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I disagree. I believe that if you work at it hard enough, and work at it the right way, you can do it. No matter what it is. It's not a question of "can we be AS good as player X?" It's just your attitude and approach. If you really, really try, you'll succeed. I don't think that it's impossible for some people to reach that level of playing if they really put in the work.
    For example: About 4 years ago I had a beginning trumpet student (6th grade). I worked with him very hard, once a week for about a year. After about....8 weeks, I had this first time trumpet player, playing with a very well, focused tone (for that age), he had 8 scales memorized (perfectly), and he also had a range up to a high C (and yes I do mean a true high C). 6th grade! He told me that he wanted to be good, and he worked at it (VERY HARD), and he got it.
    Therefore I believe that ANYBODY can work themselves up to whatever level they want to be.
    Kujo

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    I respectfully disagree. It should be a minimum of 10,001 hours of practice.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    kujo sez:
    I believe that if you work at it hard enough, and work at it the right way, you can do it. No matter what it is.
    ---
    To believe. Now that's powerful stuff. You are absolutely correct if you first believe.
    Think about it. How many times in the history in sports, art, and business have we seen great things done because someone had an unwavering belief that they are gonna get it done.
    You need to have an unshakable, headstrong, belief that you're gonna get it done. No excuses, period.
    If you can hear it, you can have it. How bad do you want it?
    "the wanting needs to be your new candy."

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    In a recent interview on a jazz fm station Sonny Rollins (80+ years) said that he still feels like he is trying to master the sax. Who can doubt his talent, dedication and work ethic.

I know the touchy subject of talent/hard work producing results. I think for me what really answers this question is seeing and hearing the virtuosity of young people. You know for a fact that a young teenager has not had the number of practice hours, yet the talented ones can do things on the horn you know is great for anyone at any stage, even experience adults. Here is where talent "and" hard work brings them to the top of the game. I do believe that hard work and a great teacher can take you far, just not to the top of the game.

BrotherBACH

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    At the end of the day, the good players had better opportunities based on LUCK, SKILL and DRIVE - in that order. Having a lot of one or the other can help too.

Getting not just a good teacher, but a good, performing teacher will increase your chances of getting opportunities to play with better players.

To play like these guys, you have to be crazy Austrians that happen to go to the same bar in Vienna - a city known for its humorous attitude.................... Wiener Schmäh!

Vulgano Brother likes this.